Monday, February 25, 2019

The Oscars 2019: The Aftermath

Hi there! Last night was the telecast of the 2019 Oscars. Below are the categories I made guesses for. My guesses include a main pick and a back up pick.

Scoring: 
  • For every main pick I get right, I get 1 point.
  • For every back up pick I get right, I get 1/2 point.

There are 9 categories. The most points I can get is 9 for 100%. I will feel OK if I get 85%. 

So how did I do? 

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice


Main pick: Mahershala Ali
Back up: Sam Elliot
Actual winner:  Mahershala Ali
Score: 1 point  


Best Supporting Actress 

Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite


Main pick: Regina King
Back up: Marina de Tavira
Actual winner:  Regina King
Score: 1 point   



Best Actor

Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book



Main pick: Rami Malek
Back up: Christian Bale
Actual winner:  Rami Malek
Score: 1 point

Well, will you look at that! I am 3 for 3! 100% baby! I am king of the world! Woo-hoo! 

Nothing can stop me now!!!!
Best Actress

Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?



Main pick: Glenn Close
Back up: Lady Gaga.
Actual winner:  Olivia Colman
Score: 0 points  

Well, son of a bitch! Whoa! This one hurts. 

Everywhere I looked, every pop culture pundit, every media analyst, every single damn body already had this one engraved with Glenn Close's name. 

Still, I should've at least picked Olivia for my back up choice. I mean, as I wrote yesterday, I wanted to see her win. But I really wasn't sensing the love here and really though that if by some chance Close didn't win this, the award would go to the crowd pleasing choice of Lady Gaga.  

Zero points? Damn, that hurts!  

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 
(Joel Coen & Ethan Coen)

BlacKkKlansman 
(Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz, 
Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee)

Can You Ever Forgive Me? 
(Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)

If Beale Street Could Talk 
(Barry Jenkins)

A Star Is Born 
(Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters)

Main pick: BlacKkKlansman
Back up: If Beale Street Could Talk  
Actual winner:  BlacKkKlansman
Score: 1 point 

Best Original Screenplay

The Favourite 
(Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)

First Reformed 
(Paul Schrader)

Green Book 
(Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly)

Roma 
(Alfonso Cuarón)

Vice 
(Adam McKay)



Main pick:  The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
Back up:  Green Book (Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly)
Actual winner:   Green Book (Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly)
Score: 1/2 point   

So apparently the bad press surrounding the screenplay did not hurt Green Book with Academy voters. 

Never underestimate the appeal of a story about a black person going up against racism and the white person who helped them.  

Best Animated Feature

Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse


Main pick: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Back up: Incredibles 2
Actual winner:  Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Score: 1 point  



Best Director

Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Adam McKay, Vice

Main pick: Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Back up: Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Actual winner:  Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Score: 1 point  





Best Picture
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice 



Main pick: Roma

Back up: BlacKkKlansman
Actual winner:  Green Book
Score: 0 points 

Are you fucking kidding me?
Green Book?
Best Picture? 
Really?
Green Book?!?! 

You know what? Fuck the Oscars! Fuck them so hard! 

I'm not doing this anymore.

So this gives me a total score of 6.5 points. 6.5 points out of 9 comes to 72%.

72%? That's my worst Oscar pick score ever!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...