Monday, February 4, 2019

Rise Against Hunger

Yes, I did see the Super Bowl on Sunday and I'll have a write up about that posting tomorrow (Tuesday, 02/05/2019).

Before I get to what I did on Sunday, let me bring you up to speed on how I spent part of Saturday.

My wife Andrea, my daughter Randie and I ventured forth from the Fortress of Ineptitude to go to church on a Saturday morning. At Andrea's urging, we were going to do a good deed. 

George Carlin once commented that sometimes the best thing you can do is just not kill someone that day. That's my threshold for doing a good deed. Did I kill someone that day? No? Then that was my good deed for the day. 

But this good deed was going to be a more proactive.  

Our church was participating in an event for Rise Against Hunger. 

Click here for more about this organization and how you can help.








A group of about a hundred men, women and children were gathering to package food to be shipped to countries desperately fighting against starvation.  

We assemble packages that include a vitamin pack, soy beans, dried vegetables and rice.  We're divided up into teams of 5 people who handle the following tasks:

  • Open up a bag and put in the vitamin pack.
  • Attach the bag to a funnel 
  • The three others had scoops of soy, vegetables and rice in that order. 
  • Detach the bag from the funnel and add it to a box.

Once we have seven bags in a box, we call a runner (mostly the younger children served as runners) who would take the box to a table where the bags would be sealed and secured.  

I was on the vegetable scoop. It was a task to fit my normal skill level for manual dexterity. 

Over the course of 90 minutes while grooving to upbeat pop music ranging from Van Halen to Justin Timberlake, we filled 15,000 bags of food. 

It was fun and it felt good knowing we help people a world away.  

Again, for more about Rise Against Hunger, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...