Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Coronavirus Continuation


Hi there! Dave-El reporting from the heart of the Fortress of Ineptitude, home to my family.

 

It is also the office for a project manager for a financial services company.

 

It is also the customer service call center for a major medical services provider.

 

It is also the classroom for a major university.

 

My wife Andrea, my daughter Randie and myself spend the day at our respective obligations in various corners of the Fortress of Ineptitude,  focused on our work or our studies.

 

Then we go home by walking mere feet from our respective work areas to the comforts of our sofa or our beds.

 

Sometimes at work, I might be feeling a bit stressed and I just want to go home. Then I look up my computer monitor and realize, oh right, I’m already there.

 

I realize my petty observations about the vagaries of working from home pale in comparison to what’s going on in the world during life in the time of pandemic.

 

We are in the shit now.

 

We have more cases of coronavirus than China had. And the death toll for COVID-19 is rising.

 

Well, if we can keep the death toll at 100,000, we’re doing OK.

 

That was Donald Trump’s lowering of the bar of what will constitute a good job.

 

Every day, Trump pisses me off as I sit here and stew in my house-slash-office-slash-prison.

 

Last Friday, Randie and I ventured out for what may be our last visit to Acme Comics for a very long time.  Our city and county was shifting to a more restrictive posture on the subject of keeping people the hell away from each other. My opinions to the contrary, government officials do not consider the sale of comic books an essential service.

 

In addition to my usual pull list, I also bought the 100 page 80th anniversary comic celebrating various versions of Robin and 4 trade paperbacks. I spent about twice what I normally drop on a visit to Acme but I wanted to express my support in some way for Jermaine and his loyal crew at Acme. 

Eating food we don't have to cook is a bit of a challenge. A curbside pick up for lunch on Sunday was a bit wonky but I'm trying to be patient. I imagine restaurants are still working the bugs out of their swiftly developed strategies for pick up and delivery.   

I know  restaurants are taking enough of a hit already but I wish they could reign in drink prices. If someplace wants to charge you $3.00 for a glass of flavored lemonade, at least you can get a re-fill on even one to go when you dine in.  I'm way less tolerant of that $3.00 price when all you're gonna get is that one drink. 

I know, it's a small and petty thing but it irks me.

Better to dwell on my irks, perhaps, than to think too much about what's going on out there, places where this pandemic is not some hypothetical  but a battle of life and death.

Stay safe and remember to be good to one another. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

News of the World: Storms and War and Other Things

Over the weekend, really bad weather hit the mid west United States with tornadoes.  A LOT of tornadoes. And VERY BIG tornadoes.  One really...