Thursday, February 23, 2023

A Non-Stupid Sign Of the Times

So I saw this story online yesterday about a pizzeria in Ohio that put out a help wanted sign. 

And caused a kerfuffle. 


Apparently this sign enraged a lot of people who have spoken out against Santino's Pizzeria for it's "Now Hiring Non Stupid People" sign. 

Now I understand that people who run food service places like this can be total jerks, cruel taskmasters looking to get as much as work as possible out of as few people as possible for as little recompense as possible. 

If my daughter Randie is reading this, I can guess she's turning all shades of red recollecting her time in food service hell. She was rather happy to get the job when it first started but a series of micro managing, penny pinching martinets managed to beat that joy out of her. 

And I gotta think that putting out a sign that reads "Now Hiring Non Stupid People" can come off as some raging asshole engaging in some next level passive aggressive shit. 

But...

Is it really a bad thing to want to hire the NON-stupid? 

I mean, the sign could've been worse:

"Now Hiring Non Black People"
"Now Hiring Non Female People"  
"Now Hiring Non Jewish People" 

Which a little more than a half century ago was perfectly legal to put up in your shop window.  

But what about "Now Hiring Non Stupid People"?  

One one hand, I would very much like to work in an environment free from the terminally stupid. 

On the other hand, I might be out of a job.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...