Wednesday, February 8, 2023

This (Non) Sporting Life: Duke Vs. Carolina - The Next Generation

It's time for the return of This (Non) Sporting Life where the focus of I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You turns to sports even though the writer of this blog (that would be me) knows little about sports.  

I do understand drama and I was more than a little frustrated that last year's last 2 match ups between Duke and Carolina did not deliver on the dramatic catharsis that the plot demanded. 

It was the last game on Duke's home court of Cameron Indoor Stadium for outgoing coach Mike Krzyzewski and the plot demanded one last epic win for the old guy on his way out the door.  

But sports are not movies and do no need to adhere to any script so Carolina denied Coach K one last victory at Duke. 

Then Duke made it to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament giving the story of Mike Krzyzewski's last season of coach a dramatic capstone. The vagaries of sport won out over the needs of a good drama and Carolina handed Duke another loss. 

So as Duke and Carolina met for the first time since the Final Four game, I demanded for the sake of a dramatic narrative that Duke had to win this one.

1) There was no way in hell Duke was going to let Carolina beat them for a third time in a row.

2) And for Mike Krzyzewski's chosen successor as head coach, Jon Scheyer needed to send a message that the new guy ain't no pushover. 

And for once, the needs of the dramatic outcome aligned with the realities on the court as the Blue Devils beat the Tar Heels 63-57 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.  

I shall now engage on the solemn victory call for the Blue Devils:

"DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!!"

Thank you! 

Anyway, Jon Scheyer's got a pretty solid team including freshman Dereck Lively II  who was just on fire Saturday night. 

Dereck Lively II super psyched about
the epic shot he just made.

Jeremy Roach and Kyle Filipowski  also delivered some epic plays as well. 

And I tried to do my part. 

I noticed when I was paying attention, Duke would go cold and Carolina would narrow or take the lead. When I looked down at my phone to read something, Duke would retake the lead.  

Thankfully down the stretch, Duke was able to shake off the "Dave-El is paying attention to us" jinx and allow to me to watch them make some awesome plays as they sealed the victory not just for the game but for the story I wanted to come true.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...