Monday, February 20, 2023

What Defines Genius?

I'm getting old.

In a couple of months I will be crossing a threshold I once thought was unimaginable. Like the rules of human biology and temporal physics do not apply to me. 

But they do. Alas they do.

In April, I will be 60 years old.

Damn that doesn't sound right. 

Let me recheck the math. 

Invert the integer, square the hypotenuse, compensate for the phase shift in the...

Oh fuck! I'm old! 

I guess it snuck up on me because all the physical indicators of age have always been with me.  It hurts to go from a sitting position to a standing position? Big deal!  It's always hurt for me to go from a sitting position to a standing position! 

I suppose the big worry about aging is less about physical condition and more about mental condition. 

I am willing to accept physical degradation as long as have the mental ability to craft a sentence that includes the phrase "physical degradation" instead of plaintively wailing "I'm OLD and it HURTS!" 

I did get some validation on my mental condition from the fine folks at Cracker Barrel. 

Andrea and I were having dinner there Friday night on purpose. So further evidence of aging. 

Get over it! Cracker Barrel has a varied and reasonably priced menu so don't knock it!

Anyway, I was messing with the peg board game they keep on tables and I was able to accomplish this: 



One peg left in the peg board which according to that board makes me a genius!  

OK, it's not the first time I've solved the damn Cracker Barrel peg board game and really, when you solved it once, it should be no big deal to solve it again. 

The problem is that the validation of my mental faculties by the genius certification of the damn Cracker Barrel peg board game is undermined by the fact that I don't remember how I did that.  

Each time I play the the damn Cracker Barrel peg board game, I have to work it out from scratch how to solve it. But is that an issue of aging? 

No, I've been playing the damn Cracker Barrel peg board game for years when my brain was less old and I still had the same problem.  

OK, fuck it! 

Cracker Barrel says I am a genius so there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...