Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Changing the World

So I was at my local grocery store recently. 

And for the record, just assume I was in a bad mood. 

It was late and I was tired. I'd put in a full day in at work and where I want to be is on my sofa watching whatever the hell happens to be on TV at that moment.  

Also our local grocery store is too damn expensive (even before recently inflation kicked in hard) but that lack of economy is offset by the fact it's only a few blocks from my house. 

Another detriment about my local grocery store is it's too damn loud which I once wrote about here.   

So suffice to say I'm tired, I'm paying too damn much for food and it's TOO DAMN LOUD so yeah, I'm cranky. 

Please don't talk to me. 

This old guy in line in front of me tries to talk to me. 

On the magazine rack in the cashier's line is this book from Life, 100 People Who Changed the World.  



So the old white guy says to me, "I don't know how the hell she's supposed to have changed the world!" 

Now there are three women on the cover of this magazine but I'm guessing I know whose presence he's irked by. 

Nonetheless, I mutter, "Er, who?" 

The old white guy gestures to the lower right corner of the cover, "You know, her, Oprah." I feel like he's incredulous that I didn't narrow it down for myself. 

Under the best of circumstances, do not ask me to engage with people in line for anything. And these are not the best of circumstances. Nonetheless, I stumbled through an answer. "Well, I understand she is a positive role model for a lot of women!" 

The old white guy dismisses this with "Hmph! Hardly call that changing the world."     

At this point, he decided I was not someone to be conversed with and left me the hell alone. 

Which was good. 

But...

Look I can blame my failure to speak up more emphatically on behalf of Oprah Winfrey on being tired when in fact I am a coward when it comes to public confrontation. 

I feel bad that I did not say more.

"Look, bub, Oprah Winfrey found success with a multi media empire after breaking barriers that had restricted others due to their sex and color. Her success inspired others to find their own voices, to forge a path for their own success. Oprah's message is one of hope and positivity in opposition to others who trade on hate and fear. Oprah Winfrey is a force for good who is admired by millions of people the whole wide over and I can't help but wonder, you old fart, that of all the people on that cover, you singled out the successful black woman for critique while ignoring fucking Adolf god damn Hitler who is on the same cover!" 

Of course that would not have gone well if I had said all that but damn it, I wish I had the courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Ghosts

  Ghosts wrapped up it's 3rd season last week. In a strike shortened season with only 10 episodes, a lot of ground still got covered.  ...