Thursday, November 11, 2021

Food For Thought


Andrea and I have had some interesting dining experiences of late.

Last Friday, we had dinner at Cracker Barrel.  Our favorite meal there is a hamburger steak that for $1 extra comes smothered with gravy and onions.  


We don't spend the extra $1 because 

1) I am cheap as hell

2) Andrea does not like gravy and onions. 

Andrea does not like onions and gravy.
She will not eat them alone or with the navy.
She will not eat food covered in onions.
She will not eat them with sad people or even fun ones.
On this she is solid, she is most certainly not wavy.
She does not like food with onions and gravy.
Would she do you a favor, eat something with onions?
Not even if it cured your painful bunions.  
Is there a chance, a possible maybe?
No! She does not like onions and gravy! 

So naturally the waitress brought out our hamburger steaks smothered with gravy and onions. 

1) I was OK with mine. I'm not picky. I am cheap but hell, it was Andrea's turn to pay.  

2) Andrea was not OK.  For reasons why, see the above poem. 

The waitress was perplexed. She insisted she heard us say we wanted onions and gravy. 

Neither one of us uttered any words that even rhymed with onions or gravy. 

There was a gracious agreement to replace Andrea's a hamburger steak sans gravy and onions.  

Sunday we had lunch at Red Lobster where we had shrimp with a baked potato.  I ordered mine with butter and sour cream.  Andrea just wanted butter. She does not like sour cream.

Will Andrea eat food with sour cream?
Not with your friend or our team.
She will not...

NO! NO! NO! NO! 
Not another Dr. Seuss poem!  

Anyway...

You guessed it! She got a baked potato with butter and sour cream.  

Andrea has not had the best luck with food lately.

Her Chik-Fil-A sandwich without pickles came with pickles. And pepperjack cheese? What the hell?

Her McDonald's Filet of Fish morphed into a Big Mac. 

Another thing that's been happening with dining out or take out are places running out of food.

A local Bojangles recently ran out of chicken. They had chicken tenders but not actual chicken chicken.

Last week they ran out of french fries. 

Last weekend, Andrea and I ordered sweet and sour pork from our local Chinese take out place. I got a call a few minutes later after placing the order. They were out of pork. 

They did however have chicken. 

I ran into this problem at Cook Out recently. 

I was ordering Andrea's favorite burger with hush puppies and cole slow and a strawberry cheesecake milkshake.

A woman read back the order, saying "fried okra, cheese bites and a strawberry milkshake".  

No, I gently corrected her, "that hush puppies, cole slaw and a strawberry cheesecake milkshake." 

The woman replied, "I thought you said fried okra and cheese bites." 

Is she arguing with me? 

Well, she then reads back "hush puppies, cole slaw and a strawberry milkshake." 

Well, no, I ordered a strawberry cheesecake milkshake." 

And the answer comes, "We're out of cheesecake." 

Are you, really? Or are you just trying to win at least one part of this argument with me?  

Anyway, things are really weird in the world of food. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

An April 24th Birthday Post

I was born on April 24, 1963 which makes me 61 years old today. But I am not quite frankly that interesting and I'm not exactly where I ...