Saturday, November 17, 2018

Doctor Who On New Year's Day


Well, the word was made official this past week that Doctor Who would not being getting a Christmas special for 2018. 


But there will be a special and it will air on New Year’s Day 2019.  

I think I’m OK with that.  




Except getting my wife, daughter and I to Geeksboro on Christmas night was a ready and convenient excuse to extricate ourselves from extended family.  Now I will have to come up with something else.



“I can’t believe you morons voted for Trump and I can’t tolerate another second in your presence!”


OK, maybe I should come up with something else.


But my family matters aside, I think Doctor Who having a special episode on a day other than Christmas is probably a good idea. As I noted in a previous post on this subject, the last few specials have only been tangentially connected to Christmas.


And really, how “special” can a Christmas special be if it happens every Christmas? 


Maybe Doctor Who can have specials aligned with other holidays.


A really spooky story for Halloween with the Doctor and friends in a haunted house? 

The Doctor reunites with River Song just in time for Valentine’s Day? 

The Doctor meets Elvis Presley on his birthday?

Really screw with minds of the Doctor’s British fans: a Doctor Who 4th of July Special? Nah! 


And no Christmas Special this year does not mean no Christmas special ever again. How about this? On a cold night in Bethlehem 2,000 years ago, the Doctor and her friends must single-handedly make sure all the rooms in all the inns are full? Yeah, let’s give that idea a hard “no”, why don't we.  


But maybe one day, the Doctor will arrive again on Christmas Day, making the Christmas special truly special.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...