Friday, November 23, 2018

Thanksgiving Post Mortem 2018

Hi there! Welcome to another post here at I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a cranberry blog in a turkey dinner internet. I'm Dave-El and I may nor may not be lip syncing. 

Only my hairdresser knows for sure. 

The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving is usually when the El family puts up the Christmas tree. It is a beloved family tradition as my wife Andrea, my daughter Randie and I gather around to put the ol' Christmas tree while we listen to Christmas music. 

Randie takes the lead on getting the damn tree up because as I get older, I'm less and less in the mood to get the damn tree up. The fact that I refer our family Christmas tree as "the damn tree" should give you some idea of my decided lack of enthusiasm for this endeavor.  And at some point, I will inevitably complain the Christmas music is too loud, annoying and shut it off.  

Good times with family. I cherish these times.  

Our Christmas tree is an artificial tree that my wife Andrea and I bought at Wal-Mart the first year we were married which was 24 years ago. This tree has seen way better days. But by the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, it still retains most of its artificial pine needles so it goes back up. 

Thursday morning, we get up for Thanksgiving Day with the traditional breakfast of waffles which I make from an old family recipe.




We turn on the TV to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. In the 9:00 hour, the show is a series of performances from current Broadway shows. This year there was a song and dance number from a show called The Prom. 


Image of The Prom casr is not from the Macy's Parade  

Randie, musical theater aficionado, honorary New Yorker and certified gay person, brought me up to speed. The Prom is a pastiche of your basic coming of age 1980s sex comedy where the nerd kid is helplessly infatuated with a girl who is typically way out of the nerd kid's league. But in this case, the leads are both female and the musical number ends with those two crazy kids sharing a kiss because love is love is love, y'all, and any excuse to blow the tiny minds of the MAGA hats is OK by me. 




The hour ends with the Rockettes to settle down heterosexual America that all is right with the world and the parade commences. 




Apparently the 2018 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade was watched by people who were watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade for the first time ever. It seems people on social media were shocked... SHOCKED, I say!   Shocked that Rita Orr and John Legend were lip syncing. 




Musical performances during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade are lip synced. This is not a new thing and hardly a scandal. From the logistics of performing from moving floats to the hazards of trying to sing in frigid call air, Rita Orr and John Legend as well as ALL the other performers in this parade are not going to screw up their voices singing live in the open air, particularly when that air is below freezing. 

When the show started at 9:00 AM, the temperature in New York City was 19 degrees.   




I wanted to show the Pikachu balloon because that reminds me that I might actually have to go see a Pokemon movie next year. I've see the trailer for Detective Pikachu which features Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Pikachu. It looks like it might be fun. Here's a link to the trailer on You Tube.
  
After the parade, we were due to head off to have dinner with Andrea's family but Randie and I got caught up a bit in the 2018 Westminster Dog Show that usually airs after the parade. We both love Corgis and we were very happy to see this Pembroke Welsh Corgi win before we had to leave. 



Dinner with the family went well. We actually had turkey this year which is unusual for this family. Except for a few items, most of the food was courtesy of the fine folks at Cracker Barrell. 

It seems our gracious hosts had been out of town out west on business and did not have time to do their usual fine job of cooking. I'm cool. I love Cracker Barrell. And I was being plied with wine so I'm really, really cool. 

In fact, I ate way too much. Here now is a montage of some funny animal memes on the subject of over eating. 




I was worried that that politics might come up but it did not except for one brief mention by my father in law. We were discussing the terrible situation in California with the raging wildfires and my father in law said, "Especially in Pleasure."  You may recall that "Pleasure" is what Trump called the town of "Paradise" that was destroyed in the fire. Thankfully, no one took the bait and we moved on with our day. 

The plan for Andrea, Randie and I was that after dinner, we were going to go see Ralph Breaks the Internet. However, between wine and a bad case of "ATE TOO MUCH", I needed to go home to the Fortress of Ineptitude where wound up crashing on the couch and watching the "Chimpsgiving" marathon on BBC America, a series of nature documentaries narrated calmly and wryly by David Attenborough as nature spends an inordinate amount of time eating itself. 

I did a quick search for images under "Chimpsgiving BBC America" and I got matches to these pictures.



Graham Norton with a bunch of celebrities and the Pting from Doctor Who.

The internet is weird. 

At some point during "Chimpsgiving", I pried myself from the couch and deposited myself into bed and slept for several hours. 

It was the best Thanksgiving ever! 

Rockettes, take us out!



Thanks for dropping by and remember to be good to one another

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...