Thursday, August 31, 2023

Social Insecurity

Today we're going to be talk about retirement.  

When I was in my 20's, I figured I had a lot of time to sort that out, no worries.

As I passed through my 30's and 40's, I realized my window for planning for my retirement was shrinking but no worries, I still have time. 

By the time I hit 50, I realized I had totally fucked up planning for retirement and my retirement plan began to look like this:

Me: "Well, today is my last day at work! Yep, it's the retired life for me! I'm going to kick back on my boat which I've named "The Never Gonna Die" and...and...  ARGHHH!  My heart!" 

And I would keel over and die.  

Now I'm 60 and I'm counting on social security on saving my dumb ass.  

Me: "OK, living off Social Security ain't much but my needs are simple so should be just fine. I'm just going to kick back in my old chair with my favorite blanket and watch episodes of Law & Order and Bones all day and that will be...  will be....  ARGHHH!  My heart!" 

And I would keel over and die.

But if you are in your 20's right now, even that modest dream might need to be deferred.  

Former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley has what she thinks is a winning strategy to win her race to be President of the United States: raise the retirement age. 

Current federal regulations allow people to start receiving Social Security benefits at 62, but those born after 1960 are not eligible for full benefits until 67. People are eligible for Medicare coverage when they turn 65.

Now Haley isn't proposing to raise this on middle aged people and senior citizens like myself.  

Haley isn't going to piss off the old folks she thinks are likely to vote Republican. 

Now you young whippersnappers out there with your woke liberal agendas who are not likely to ever vote Republican, well, fuck you. You will see your Social Security retirement age raised.

Raised to what, Haley is not specific. She says the current Social Security guidelines are too low and do not take into account increases in longevity. 

Which is kind of funny in that the United States is not keeping pace with other developed nations when it comes to average life spans.    

Now if Congress were to re-allocate say 1/2 of 1% of our total defense spending budget to Social Security, that would solve the program's solvency issues for generations to come. 

But no, Haley would rather solve that on the backs of younger citizens who weren't going to vote for her anyway. 

Don't worry about this old guy. I'm going to be fine.

Me: "I'm glad I'm NOT some kind of Gen Z whippersnapper and still getting MY social security! I'm a getting what's coming to me! Now to kick back and enjoy my pudding cups and... and.... ARGHHH!  My heart!" 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Ghosts

  Ghosts wrapped up it's 3rd season last week. In a strike shortened season with only 10 episodes, a lot of ground still got covered.  ...