Thursday, September 14, 2023

Attack of the Grawlix

You probably know what this is:    @$%#@$!

It's a collection of symbols used to denote a curse word or obscenity in comic strips and books.  

It's designed to be used in place of any "bad" word you can think of:

  • Damn
  • Hell
  • Shit 
  • Fuck 
  • Belgium

What I did not know is that symbolic group is called a "grawlix".    

Usually the grawlix is used for comedic effect in humor strips or comic books otherwise intended for all ages.  

I've noticed of late usage of the grawlix in otherwise serious comics, material on the cusp of perhaps being for adults only but not quite clearing that hurdle. 

I suppose companies like DC Comics doesn't want to limit their sales just to have the Penguin threaten Batman with "I'm going to fucking run Gotham and there's fuck all you can do about it!"

So we get "I'm going to @$%#@$! run Gotham and there's @$%#@$! all you can do about it!"

I've long thought that the use of what I now know to be called a grawlix in otherwise dramatic comics was out of place.  The use of @$%#@$! is associated with humorous comics so it takes the air out of a scene that is otherwise meant to convey drama or intensity or a sense of threat.  

And I'm not the only one to think that.  Click here for the article on CBR about the grawlix.   

I think the publishers need to commit to the material being for adults or find another way to express themselves without resorting to the grawlix. 

Well, that's my @$%#@$! opinion.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...