Friday, March 19, 2021

COVID Countdown

 My daughter Randie recently got her first shot of the COVID-19 vaccine. As a front line worker in a cafe, she qualified for the vaccine. The next phase of vaccine distribution is coming 'round and it looks like Andrea and I will soon be getting our turn.

I am feeling a little bit of trepidation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get the shot and I no reason to doubt it's effectiveness. I'm sure as hell not going to buy in to any of the absurd conspiracy theories surrounding the vaccine.

Look, if the government wants to put a microscopic transmitter in my vaccine shot to keep tabs on me, well, they're going to be bored out of their minds. 

The source of my trepidation is a bit weird.

I've gotten used to life in a time of pandemic. 

I've gotten used to not eating in restaurants.

I've gotten used to not seeing movies in a theater. 

I've gotten used to wearing a mask everywhere.

That's not to say I like living life like this in a time of pandemic. 

But I've gotten used to it, this little corner of isolated hell.  

To be blunt, life in a time of pandemic is little different for me from life in the before times. Yes, I would go out to eat and see a movie but my first tendency was always to hunker down, away from crowds and the stress they can bring. 

Social distancing gave me suitable cover to indulge in that tendency.  

A vaccine means I will soon have little excuse to hide behind the necessities of living life in a time of pandemic.  

A vaccine will unlock the prison cell door. 

It will be up to me to walk through it. 

One would expect I should be happy to do that. 

But I've become quite accustomed to this cell. 

It may be harder to leave that one might think.  

___________________

Andrea and I have appointments to get our COVID vaccine this Sunday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...