Saturday, March 13, 2021

Songs For Saturday: Miracle Musical, The Foc'sle Singers and Stan Rogers

 


Today's Songs For Saturday spotlights music that my daughter Randie has introduced me to. 

Leading off today's playlist is a very distinctive and catchy composition from Miracle Musical. It is a song with a strange but engaging sense of retro futurism. It sounds like a production from the 1950s of what the 21st century might sound like.  

By Miracle Musical, here is "Dream Sweet in Sea Major" from the album Hawaii: Part II .   



And if you liked that, click here for the entire Hawaii: Part II album on You Tube.  

Randie is prone to try to torture me with sea shanties. But darn the luck, I find these songs appealing as well. Up next on today's play list is a folk song called "Banks of the Sacramento" by the Foc'sle Singers.    


"Banks of the Sacramento" caught my attention because just a week before I heard the song, Arbie (Holly Hunter) on an episode of Mr. Mayor was told there were no songs about Sacramento. Well, there is at least one about the river.  

Up next is a sea shanty that Randie introduced me to a year or so back by Stan Rogers.  I find the song very impactful, a tale of weariness and frustration over a ocean voyage littered with broken promises, shattered dreams and oh so many regrets. Here is Stan Rogers with "Barrett's Privateers".   


And that is that for today's Songs For Saturday. Thanks for giving a listen. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Doctor Who Is CLASSIC: Kinda

Today is another installment of my semi regular series of posts, Doctor Who Is CLASSIC !   This is where I post about episodes from the clas...