Friday, November 8, 2019

We Cannot Overturn 2016


From Donald Trump and the sniveling sycophants who suck assiduously on his posterior, one often hears this attack on those who support impeachment proceedings against Li’l Donnie: “They want to overturn the results of the 2016 election.”
 
Now I can’t speak for everyone. Hell, I’m not sure I can in good standing speak for myself but I’ll give it a shot.
 
No, I do not like Donald Trump now and no, I did not like him then. It is clear to me and it should be clear to anyone with working eyes, ears and a brain that he is an ignorant, hate mongering con man who is unfit for any level of government authority, let alone the President of the United States.
 
But here’s the thing: by the rules of the game as they exist, Donald Trump won the Presidential election of 2016. Whatever grievances one may have with the Electoral College or that another person who lost the popular vote won the White House, the point is Trump won.
 
Did I like that? Hell no! I was, in fact, sick to my stomach as the electoral totals rolled up in Trump’s column on election night 3 years ago.
 
Do  I want overturn the results of the 2016 election?  No. 
 
Has much as I find Donald Trump an abhorrent, despicable excuse of a grotesquely misshaped mass of a human-like creature, no, we cannot change what happened.  
 
No, I don’t want to Donald Trump to go because I’m in a snit that he won the 2016 election.
 
I do want him to go because he failed keep the sacred trust he was given.
 
I’ve had concerns about first time Presidents before. I thought Bill Clinton was too young, George W. Bush was too disengaged, Barack Obama was too inexperienced. All of these people did ultimately have missteps owing to those very concerns. But also, all of these men strove to reach beyond themselves, to rise up to the power and the responsibility of their high office.
 
Donald Trump did not do that.
 
I was willing to give him a chance. I didn’t like him and I had zero confidence in him but damn it, like it or not and I admittedly did not, he had the job.
 
I was prepared to give him a chance to prove that he could be better than the man as President than the man who ran for the office.
 
Of course that didn’t happen. Trump’s self-delusion about his own worth, skills and power is at such a high level, there’s no way he could see himself needing to improve to hold the highest office in the land. There’s an old joke that goes “It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am.” Trump’s variation on this is “Why bother to be humble when you’re as great as I am.” 
 
Something that I noted on this blog back in 2017 is that Trump is not the President of the United States. That is not a denial of reality on my part. It’s a denial of responsibility by Trump himself. Repeatedly, he has engaged in rhetoric, actions and policies to shore up the base of supporters who voted for him.  Trump remains the President of the Part of the United States That Voted For Him. Everyone else can fuck off. 
 
But in many ways, the focus of Trump’s power is even more narrow than shoring up his base of supporters. The primary focus of Donald Trump is, as it always has been, Donald Trump.
 
Think about the current tangle of trouble that Trump finds himself in. The whole pitch to extort the president of Ukraine was all about promoting a narrative to benefit Trump’s ego. While there are shit tons of evidence of Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election to the benefit of Donald Trump, Li’l Donnie’s ego will not allow that his 2016 win was due to any outside influence and instead continues to double down on a discredited right wing conspiracy that 2016 election interference was from Ukraine and to benefit Hillary Clinton.
 
Donald Trump is the President of Donald Trump.
 
And this is why he has to go.
 
Being the President of the United States of America is a sacred trust of service to all the American people, whether they voted for you or not.
 
Donald Trump had a chance to see that and to act on it.
 
He didn’t take it.
 
Overturn the results of the 2016 election?  No, we can’t do that and nor should we try. If a person runs for President and wins, give them their chance to do something good for the American people.
 
Trump failed to understand the office he achieved and can only see what he can get out if it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: Ncuti Gatwa Explains Doctor Who

Well, we're getting closer now.  Next Friday on Disney+, we're going to get not one but TWO all new episodes of Doctor Who . Your Fr...