Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Lucifer and Bones - Time For Crime II


For this week's Tuesday TV Touchbase, instead of posting about new episodes, I'm following up on a couple of older TV shows I've catching up on.

It's TIME FOR CRIME Part II.

She's a former actress turned homicide detective.

He's the Prince of Darkness, ruler of Hell. 

Together.....they solve crimes.

It's  Lucifer.

So Andrea and I have made a commitment to watch Lucifer in order on Netflix. Somehow, Friday nights have become Lucifer nights as we watch up 3 episodes at a time. 

We're about 1/3 the way through season 3. 

Chloe Decker, the oft described best detective in the LAPD, still doesn't know that when Lucifer Morningstar says he is the Devil, he really means he is the Devil. With my media powers, I  know that Chloe will eventually get there but come on! So much weird shit goes on with Lucifer, his brother Amenadiel and Lucifer's assistant Mazikeen, it just makes Chloe look really dumb. And she's not. It's really frustrating and I can't wait until we get to the part where Chloe is on a more even footing with these guys. 

Never mind Lucifer's true self, it's going to be weird when Chloe finds out Mazikeen, her roommate and sometime baby sitter for Trixie, is a demon. 

Trixie is fricking adorable. She's also down with sketchy shit. There was an episode where Lucifer gets Trixie to do go undercover into a private school and Trixie's down for whatever and just goes with the flow. 

Knowing the truth about Lucifer and the gang has it's own problems. Ask his therapist, Dr. Linda Martin. Lucifer confirms the truth of his words that he really is the Devil which knocks her for a really big loop for a day or ten. Now she's part of Team Lucifer as a partner in their shenanigans. Mazikeen is her best friend and she's falling in love with Amenadiel. But knowing for a fact, instead of belief, faith or speculation, about what lies beyond this life is not always an easy burden for Linda to carry. 

Lucifer can be a pill, especially when he sees every slight or grievance as being some kind of plot by dear old "Dad" to make his life...   It's never quite clear what Lucifer thinks God is up to at any given moment but damn it, Dad's up to something and Lucifer doesn't like it.  

Up next for TIME FOR CRIME Part II...

She's a scientist who is a firm believer in facts and science.

He's an FBI agent with a religious faith and follows his gut.  

Together.....they solve crimes.

It's Bones.

Unlike Lucifer, it's just me following Bones. Which is a shame because I think Andrea would like this show for it's warm and witty take on the familial relationships of Dr. Brennan, Agent Booth and the gang down at the Jeffersonian Institute. 

But the shows propensity for long, close up, lingering shots of decay corpses is more than she wants to put up. Hell, it puts me off my lunch for sure as well.  

But what makes Bones work as a show are the characters, the way they interact, often in sync with each other, occasionally at odds, you know, just like a family.   

Unlike Lucifer, I am not watching Bones in order but catching whatever episodes I can when the show airs on BBC America on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  I have seen the series from beginning to end but not all the episodes. I've seen Brennan & Booth play "will they or won't they" and I've seen them as a couple with two children. I've not seen the episode where they finally hooked up to the impatient expectations of every damn person around them.  

In the early years, you might hear a conversation like this: 

  • Angela: Hey, did you hear Booth is dating somebody?
  • Jack: Oh, Dr. Brennan's not going to like that. 
  • Cam: Hi, Dr. Brennan, we heard Booth's dating somebody. 
  • Angela: Are you OK?
  • Brennan: Why would I not be OK? Booth is an attractive, intelligent and compassionate man and would make a perfect mate for any woman. 

And everyone around her slaps their foreheads. What is it with these two? 

I have also so far missed the episode where psychologist Lance Sweets gets killed. Sweets looks too young to be mind probing people and being irritatingly good at it. I like Sweets and I dread watching the episode where he dies. 

And that is that for the touchbase this week.

Next week, we look at season 3 of Star Trek: Lower Decks and coming up sometime after that, the new AMC series, Interview With the Vampire.    

OK, that is that for this week's Tuesday TV Touchbase. 

But we're not done with TV yet. Tomorrow is an installment of Doctor Who Is NEW! as we look at Jodie Whitaker's final episode.   

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and try to keep it down in there, would ya? I'm trying to watch TV over here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Sushi

Last week, I had my first sushi. While Andrea and I were out of town for our son's graduation from college, we took him and two of his f...