Saturday, August 1, 2020

Songs For Saturday: Genesis

Today is Saturday  which means it's time for Songs For Saturday. 

Time to put on the ol' Bat Head Phones and let's rock! 




Today is the first day of August, the genesis of a new month., if you will.

So let's listen to the music of Genesis

(OK, I will concede that this is a lame segue way but what can I say, I've been listening to a lot of Genesis lately.)

One of my early favorite songs by Genesis was "Turn It On Again". For today's post, here's a live track of Genesis performing "Turn It On Again."  



Before drummer Phil Collins moved up to front the band at the lead singer, the front man for Genesis was Peter Gabriel. While a lot of stuff from the Gabriel era was a bit too experimental for my tastes, this next song remains one my favorite songs by Genesis from any era.  With Peter Gabriel on lead vocals, here is Genesis with "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".  



After the release of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album in 1974 and the subsequent tour in 1975, Peter Gabriel left Genesis to begin a solo career which is when Phil Collins took the lead spot. 

The advent of Collins as lead singer led the band to a more commercial, mainstream sound culminating with Invisible Touch in 1986, the band's most popular album and the less said about it the better.  

Abacab, released in 1981, is the band's most effective merger of their commercial direction with their progressive beginnings.  The title track is still guaranteed to get my blood pumping whenever I need a musical kick in the backside. Here is Genesis with "Abacab".  





For what "abacab" means and other deets on the making of the album, click here for the Wiki.


Hope you've enjoyed today's selection of my favorite songs by Genesis. 


Next week on Songs For Saturday, I'll share some of my favorite songs from 1980's movie soundtracks. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and always keep the music alive.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: The Man Who Knew Too Much

"A" is for April. And "A" is for Alfred.   As in Alfred Hitchcock. As April draws to a close, Cinema Sunday's Alfred...