Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Christmas For Comic Books


This weekend is Christmas For Comic Books or better known as Free Comic Book Day.  It’s a tradition now for my daughter and I to go, score some comics, sure, but also to meet people. Lastyear, we met Jesus. Jesus was cool, man.


In addition to my free comics, I’ll be paying for some too. It’s been awhile since I was last at Acme Comics to get the comics from my pull list. I’m looking forward to catching up with Batman & the Flash as they investigate the mystery of “the Button”. The blood stained smiley face button that Batman found buried in his cave wall in last year’s DC Universe Rebirth special. . A button that is a complete mystery to him but we the readers recognize it from Watchmen.  Yes, it appears the world of the Watchmen is invading the DC Universe. But to what ends, for what purpose, we don’t know. There have been hints and allegations in various titles about a threat to the DC Universe from outside.


We already know the DC Universe has undergone 1 major shock as Superman’s history gets reset, going back to the John Byrne reboot. There may be a few things holding over from the New 52 era but we can count out Clark’s blue jean and t-shirt version of Superman and his relationship with Wonder Woman. Over in her own book, WW is wondering why her past, her memories are so screwy. Well, the Superman re-set isn’t helping.  I like that we have MY Superman back but the way to get there has created more uncertainty on what’s up with the DC Universe. 


Here’s something lacking in uncertainty: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is going to kick major box office butt this weekend.  Reviews have been mostly positive but I thinking working against GotG2 is the lack of the shock of the new. The original caught a lot of people off-guard; now we know what to expect which means GotG2 has to work harder to surprise us. I’m hoping to get to see GotG2 this Sunday. 


Looks like a good weekend to be a comic book fan.


Until next time, remember to be good to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An April 24th Birthday Post

I was born on April 24, 1963 which makes me 61 years old today. But I am not quite frankly that interesting and I'm not exactly where I ...