Friday, April 6, 2018

Today’s Topic: Television!


Today’s topic: Television!
 
I just finished my re-watch of the first three seasons of Arrested Development. Up next is the 4th season which was produced for Netflix a few years ago. It was a harbinger of the model we’ve come to know from Netflix with an entire season being dropped at one time. I have some trepidations about the 4th season since the first three seasons of Arrested Development is some of the most clever, funniest stuff I’ve ever seen. I can imagine it might be hard to live up to that standard. 
 
I also just finished season 3 of Episodes, the comedy series from Showtime. I’ve still got 2 more seasons to go. If you want to see Matt LeBlanc with grey hair and say “fuck” a lot, this is the show for you. By the end of season 3, our British protagonists, Bev and Sean Lincoln, have escaped from being the butt-monkeys of American television and are looking to reclaim their higher standing in the world of the BBC. But they’re going to find their English dreams fucked after their American sitcom has been uncancelled just so an American TV executive can fuck with Matt LeBlanc.  I did not see all episodes of Episodes when it was on Showtime so some of these episodes of Episodes are new to me.
 
After being bombarded with several promo reels for season 2, I’ve decided to give Santa Clarita Diet a try. It’s about a normal married couple (Joel and Sheila Hammond) with a teenage daughter just trying to get through life like you do. Then things get a tad complicated when Sheila becomes undead with an insatiable desire for human flesh along with an unquenchable rush to live life to the fullest. I’ve started on season 1 and it is a very funny show. But it’s hard show for me to find time to watch. I don’t recommend watching this show after you eat, before you eat or while you’re eating. This show can be pretty damn gross.  
 
My wife Andrea and I are making our way through season 2 of Jessica Jones. Andrea watched season 1 which I plan to go back and catch up on when I this season 2 watch is over. I will say that Jessica Jones is good for what it is but it can be quite a slog to get through. People, we’ve got 13 damn episodes to fill and by God, we will fill them! Yeah, the pacing could use a little bit of a pick me up. Also, I know Jessica has a LOT to be pissed off about but her dourness and anger is so unrelenting which kind of contributes to that pacing problem. Jessica mostly has one emotional speed: glum.
 
Supernatural is my daughter Randie’s passion but she recently shared it with the rest of the family with last week’s crossover with Scoby-Doo. Yep, that Scooby-Doo. Demon hunting brothers Sam and Dean Winchester and their angel buddy Castiel get sucked into a cursed TV and into an episode of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? It looks a standard “real estate scam monster fake out” Scooby-Do plot excert the monster is real and so are the unexpectedly gruesome deaths.
 
And speaking of TV, this blog can’t go for long without mentioning Doctor Who. Nothing new to report on Series 11 which is very, very frustrating. So check out tomorrow’s post for MY take on what I imagine the opening scenes of Series 11 Episode 1 will be like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

An April 24th Birthday Post

I was born on April 24, 1963 which makes me 61 years old today. But I am not quite frankly that interesting and I'm not exactly where I ...