Saturday, December 12, 2020

Songs For Saturday: Christmas Songs Part 1 with Steve Martin, Si Cranstoun, Elvis Presley, Barry Manilow, Jonathan Coulton and the Surfragettes!

 


Welcome to another edition of Songs For Saturday, my weekly blog forum where I share songs that I like.

We're heading towards Christmas Day and it's a season that quite frankly drives me a bit nuts. Not just the ubiquity of Christmas songs everywhere but the same Christmas songs everywhere. 

Despite the inherent annoyance of the season, there are some songs of the season that I find enjoyable.

Our first musical selection is a recent discovery. Here is Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers with the "Strangest Christmas Yet".  



Our 2nd holiday song for the day is another recent discovery. Performing "A Christmas Twist", here is Si Cranstoun. 


Next up is a long time classic of the Christmas season that I first heard when I was a child. In our household, my mom was the high priestess in the church of Elvis. 

Regarding this particular song, it was only when I was much older that I realized just how sexually explicit this song is. Give it up for the King, y'all! Here is Elvis Presley and "Santa Claus Is Back In Town!".  


"Jingles Bells" is a very common standard tune for the Christmas season. But I find this version with Barry Manilow to be a lot of fun. 


Here's a song I discovered a few years ago, a musical tale of how holiday cheer cannot be denied, even working in a space mine for robot overlords. 

Here is Jonathan Coulton and "Merry Christmas From Chiron Beta Prime".  


If you noticed that "Part 1" in the title of today's post, you might expect there will be a "Part 2". 

That will be coming in next week's Songs For Saturday as the music takes a quieter turn with some classic carols.

Until next time, stay safe, have a happy holiday season and remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.   

Hey, I'm still in good holiday music mood! Let's go out with Jingle Bells one more time but this time with the Surfragettes! 

Happy Holidays, everybody! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...