Saturday, December 19, 2020

Songs For Saturday: Christmas Songs Part 2 with James Tayler, Yo-Yo Ma, Alison Krauss, Cambridge Singers and Liberace


Welcome to Songs For Saturday, my weekly forum where I share some of my favorites songs. On Saturday. 

We worked really hard on the title for this feature. 


Last week's Songs For Saturday was part one of a selection of Christmas songs that I like. Those songs ranged from a classic tune from Elvis to a more novelty oriented songs by Steve Martin. 

This week's selection takes a more solemn and somber tone. 

And you can't get more solemn and somber than a song with the word "bleak" in the title.  

"In the Bleak Midwinter" is based on a poem by English poet Christina Rossetti which was set to music in The English Hymnal in 1906 with a composition by Gustav Holst. 

Here is James Taylor with a haunting version of "In The Bleak Midwinter". 


Next up is the Wexford Carol, a traditional Irish Christmas carol about the nativity of Jesus Christ. 

Up next performing the Wexford Carol is acclaimed cellist Yo Yo Ma and singer Alison Krauss.  



Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" is perhaps my favorite carol for this time of year. It has a great four part structure that works very effectively with a quartet or a full choir.  

This song began as a German carol, "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" which roughly translates to "Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming".  

The best version I've heard is from the Cambridge Singers conducted by John Rutter.    



The last selection for today's post as a personal connection. When I was child, my mother had a Christmas album by Liberace. I really enjoyed it when my mother would play this album. And my absolute favorite track on it was "Gesu Bambino".

So I was quite happy to find this track on You Tube from the very same oft played record from my childhood. 

Here is Liberace performing "Gesu Bambino". 


And those are some of my favorite songs for the Christmas season. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...