Friday, December 18, 2020

The Joker Infinitum: Ongoing Mayhem

 
Well, I called it! 

I wrote here on Thursday, October 15, 2020

 I would hope DC will take a less as more approach when it comes to the Clown Prince of Crime. But with DC under increased scrutiny and pressure from their corporate owners at AT&T, I don't expect DC will keep the Joker off the table for very long. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if DC gives the Joker his own on-going title. Well, they did it before. 


And in case you thought I was making it up that the Joker once had his own series, I wrote about it here on Friday, October 23, 2020.  It was here that I took up the idea that DC might give the Joker his own series. 


Maybe DC should give the Crown Prince of Crime a break for awhile. However, given all the pressures being put upon DC by their new AT&T corporate masters, I don't see DC leaving their most popular villain on the shelf for very long. Hell, they might give the Joker his own series.

And they have.


The Joker: Batman’s Main Enemy 
Scares Up His Own Ongoing Series

Current Batman scribe James Tynion IV will be the writer of the series with Guillem March on board as artist. A fairly strong one-two punch as far as creative teams go.

In DC's ongoing effort to convince us Punchline is a thing, the Joker's latest fatal femme fatale will be get a back up feature in this new series.  

I was right to predict this move by DC but it doesn't take that much precognitive talent to predict such a move.  AT&T has made it abundantly clear to all the Warner holdings to put up or get slashed. In such an environment, DC would be crazy not to capitalize on their most popular villain. 

Is the Joker being overused? Yes but fuck that when there is money to be made. 

At least DC has the good sense to put some really good people on the title. James Tynion IV and Guillem March are among DC's best creators right now and if anyone can pull off an ongoing Joker series, it's these two. If launching an ongoing Joker series is a blatant grab for money, it stands a good chance of being a high quality grab for money.  

Back in the 1970s, the solo Joker title tended to use whoever DC could get for any given issue.  

---------------------------------------------------

Our next two posts for Saturday and Sunday will be Christmas themed with holiday carols for Songs For Saturday and a post about the Polar Express for Cinema Sunday.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...