Saturday, December 5, 2020

Songs For Saturday: K C and the Sunshine Band, ABBA and Paul McCartney

 


Hi there and welcome to another installment of Songs For Saturday where I share music that I like.

Today's installment features music from a genre that I hate: disco.

As a child of the 1970s, disco was inescapable, a frantic and repetitive style of music that sought to make passion and joy  mass production items on an assembly line. 

There were some artists of the era who were slightly tolerable. K C and the Sunshine Band has a strong rythmn section that transcended the worst mechanical impulses of the disco era.

Up first for today's music selection is K C and the Sunshine Band and "Keep It Coming, Love".  




The great tragedy of the disco era was when artists who were not disco artists decided they needed to go disco in order to keep up with the times. 

This happened to ABBA.  After their monster smash hit, "Dancing Queen", one might argue that ABBA were already masters of the dance floor. But with this next song, ABBA went all in with the disco beat. 

The first time I heard "Voulez-Vous" back in the day, my heart sank. How could my favorite Swedish pop quartet betray me so? My displeasure with this song has diminished a bit with age. Here is "Voulez-Vous" by ABBA.  


The backing track for "Voulez-Vous" was recorded at Criteria Studios in Miami with members of the disco group Foxy. Criteria Studios is where The Bee Gees made their disco-era records. 

By the way, "Voulez-Vous" is French for "Do you want?"

Another artist corrupted by disco fever was Paul McCartney. 

"Coming Up" used to irritate me a lot back in the day. However, I recently stumbled across this tune and decided to give it a go, I was surprised to find how much fun I was having listening to it. 


And that is that for this edition of Songs For Saturday. Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...