Wednesday, December 23, 2020

SPAM! And Sexy Christmas!

Spam gets a bad rap. 

It comes in a can in a gelatinous goo, made of stuff that may or may not be pork related. 

When I was a kid, Spam was part of our meal time menu. My mom was a very good cook and her spam tasted just fine to me. She would pair it up with pork & beans, mac & cheese and her own special recipe fried corned bread. 

Yes, heart disease does run rampant on my side of the family. Why do you ask? 

Anyway, we ate Spam because we were poor but I didn't care. I rather enjoyed Spam. Occasionally when we had some extra spare change for a real ham, my childhood taste buds were more amenable to Spam. 

My wife Andrea does not have such fond recollections of Spam and is pretty much against us having it in our house.

But the commercials on TV make Spam look so inviting.  

Pink hued rectangular slabs of meat like substance gently frying in a pan. It gives me a hankering for Spam.

However, I have a different reaction to this Spam based concoction. 


What you're looking at is a sandwich. 

Fried spam.
Oreo cookie crumbles.
Mayonnaise.
On a sesame seed bun. 

This sandwich is available from McDonald's. 
In China.
On Mondays. 

This is a premium limited edition product. 

Let's look at the details of this culinary monstrosity. 

Fried spam.
    I like Spam! 
Oreo cookie crumbles.
    I like Oreos. I like Oreo cookie crumbles on things.
Mayonnaise.
    I will put mayonnaise on almost anything. 
Sesame seed bun. 
    A soft warm sesame seed bun is a favorite type of bun to         make a sandwich out of it. 

On paper, I should want this sandwich. 

But my nostalgia for Spam will only take me so far. 

McDonald’s plans to sell no more than 400,000 of this sandwich in China which seems a bit on the high side. 

A person identified as Feifei Mao Enthusiast on the Sina Weibo microblog service had this to say: “I thought it was delicious! Is that because I love McDonald’s too deeply? Or is something wrong with my taste?”

Another commenter on Sina Weibo described this sandwich has something to serve when you have to have dinner with someone you hate. 

By the way, why do we call unwanted e-mails Spam? Here's a video to explain why.


Christmas is coming up and I need to work our what we're having for dinner. Perhaps something involving... SPAM! 


Speaking of Christmas, let's get our minds off Spam and unto some holiday cheer with the Surfagettes! 


And if the Surfagettes were not enough, let's put some more sexy back into Christmas with Miley Cyrus...


And the Radio City Rockettes! 


Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I'll take a look at that most Christmasy of institutions, Hallmark Holiday Movies! 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another, stay safe, keep it sexy and enjoy some nice delicious...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...