Sunday, April 13, 2014

This (Non) Sporting Life #13: Bad Board Games


Hi there! Dave-El here and welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the Jenga of blogs in that it's irritating, nerve wracking and makes a big mess. 

Today is when I post This (Non) Sporting Life, the blog post about sports by a guy who does not know much about sports. 

Well, college basketball season has come to an end. Kudos UConn's men and women basketball teams for winning their respective NCAA tournaments. 

To be fair, for the women, I was rooting for Notre Dame, newly ensconced in the Atlantic Coast Conference, as a sort of defacto home team. After all, the women of UConn keep coming to this dance and winning this dance year after year.  I think the trophy for the women's tournament is pre-engraved with UConn's name. 

I wonder if we should invoke some kind of John Laroquette Rule for the women of UConn.  Years ago, actor John Laroquette played attorney Dan Fielding on the sitcom Night Court. Every year, John would get nominated and every year John would win. Eventually it got embarrassing and John had to take himself out of the running to give somebody else a shot. C'mon, women of UConn, isn't a teensy bit embarrassing to win this thing year after year? Wouldn't you like to take some time off? Just something to think about. 

The UConn men beat Duke one year at the title game. I'm not pissed at UConn about that but I am still ticked off at a local sportscaster named Mike Hogewood who in a pre-game show said, "We'll see you back here after Duke's victory!" Dude, that jinxed us! Really, you had to go and say that? Geez! 

So that's a wrap on another year of NCAA basketball. The pros of the NBA are still playing until their season ends sometime in 2019. Damn, NBA seasons are LONG! The pro game hasn't interested me since the heyday of Michael Jordan. Why? Because I'm old! 

Baseball's started up but since that's outside where the pollen is, I think I'll stay in and play some board games. Which is a not terribly subtle transition to this bit. 

Several months ago, #BadBoardGames was trending on Twitter.  So I went to work on that and came up with these ideas for really bad board games. 

Whack-a-Troll

The Game of Lice


 Carrot Land

Jenga(Vitus)

Trivial Hirsute

Buttgammon

Chutes & Bladders

Waffleship

Monopony

 Glue


That last one ("Glue") warranted a comment from one of my favorite followers on Twitter: Karen Miller .   

 Excellent deduction but can you make the charges stick?


Thanks, Karen!  
__________________________________

That's that for today. More weird stuff coming up on the blog in the days to come. Until next time, be good to one another, 'kay? 

Eels & Escalators from Spongebob Squarepants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...