Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Signs of the Times

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 - 1865) 

I wanted to take a little bit of time to call attention to a couple of photos posted on Twitter earlier this week. 






















I think that Obama has in fact read the Constitution, probably in more depth and frequency that the creator of this sign. You may argue that he may not understand what he has read as well as you think he should but yes, I'm sure if in no other context than as a law student at Harvard, the man not only read the Constitution but probably had to write some papers on it. I don't know what kind of grade he got but I imagine there were no points taken off for misspelling "constitution". 




















If you worry about the quality of public education these days, I believe most public school teachers and students can spell "school".  

As I am want to commit many indignities against the honor of grammar, spelling and punctuation, far be it from me to cast stones in the direction of other people who do likewise. But then this is just a blog that nobody reads and not a sign in front of people and cameras undermining the credibility of my position.  

The thing is these signs are proclamations of a point of view that ascribes a sense of pride and even superiority of a position or idea. And you know? More power to you. That's what makes America great, am I right? The right to express yourself, to proclaim your beliefs and your grievances as well as to show what a damn fool you are because you can't spell "constitution" or "school". 






































Or "citizens" or "illegals". 

Ladies and gentlemen, protest the direction of this country if you wish. Speak out against our government if you must. Decry the President if you think you should. You have that right. And I will fight to the death to defend that right for you and all Americans. But when you exercise those rights, please think first. I'm sure the Founding Fathers would expect nothing less but a thoughtful and considered appraisal of your point of view before you open your mouth or slap a slogan on a sign.  

And for God's sake, spell check. 

Y'all be good to one another, OK? 

Dave-El
I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Doctor Who Is On the Way

 The news broke last week at that the new season of Doctor Who will be debut on Saturday May 11th on the BBC. Doctor Who on Saturday as it...