Sunday, August 28, 2016

Doctor Who: To Serve Whovians

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, a blog fortified with vitamins and irony. I'm Dave-El and my favorite recipe is for any dish with the words "take out" in the title. 

I will also accept "microwaveable".   

Today is Sunday which is Doctor Who day here on the ol' blog thing. So what have I cooked up for today? 

Imagine you're having some fellow Doctor Who fans over for a little get together and you want to serve some Whovian-centric edibles. Maybe you can use this.



It's a cookbook! 

And for fans of The Twilight Zone, no, it's NOT a book about cooking Doctor Who fans.  

Available from Amazon, Doctor Who: The Official Cookbook: 40 Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Recipes is a book with, well, what is says on the cover: 40 recipes for various snacks and dishes for your Whovian party guests.  

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of this sort of thing. Yeah, it looks clever and imaginative but then you start eating it and it looks weird. And some things like the Cassandra Cheese Pizza...




I really don't want to think about the implications of dining on something that rather creepily looks like Cassandra from the episodes The End of the World and New Earth. I mean...

Yuck! 

And you don't dare mention Doctor Who while I'm eating spaghetti lest I think of the Ood. 

Or whatever this is. 



Another cookbook connected to Doctor Who is this:




Please note the word "Unauthorized". It is a self-published work from a very devoted Doctor Who fan but not necessarily a culinary artist. From what I can gather from the reviews of this book, it's mostly just regular recipes for ordinary dishes but with names changed to connect these dishes to Doctor Who episodes. 

It's astonishing what else one can find on Amazon for Doctor Who fanatics looking to put together a dinner party.  



Yes, you can wear your TARDIS apron while you cut up veggies on a TARDIS cutting board and add some blue police box sprinkles (someone is reaching really hard with this one) for a dash of color. And you can pull out the ol' Doctor Who Mad Libs book for entertainment apres dinner.  

This sounds like fun. And it's easy! Just talk to other people and invite them over! 

You know, talk?  

To other people?

OK, it may not be that easy. 
_____________________________

For readers of the blog for the last few days, I'm feeling better now thanks to really good meds. (Really goooooooood!) 

A new post on something or another coming up tomorrow. Probably politics. C'mon, guys! I've not touched the subject since last Tuesday. Cut me some slack. 

And more Doctor Who stuff coming up next Sunday. 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...