Saturday, August 20, 2016

Mysteries of the Blog & Other Things


"You know that TV channel at the hotel that's about the hotel?" --Bill Hader as Stefon from Saturday Night Live


This is a blog post... about the blog. 


To be honest, I don't really look at the stats for this blog that often. As I've noted before, I am afraid I will find out one of two things:

 

1) Nobody's reading this blog.

2) Somebody's reading this blog.

 

I really don't care too much about the former. I've always been prone to talk to myself and writing this blog is another way of doing that. Still, it would be kind of pathetic if I'm doing all this work and nobody at all is reading it.

 

But the latter point, well, that weirds me out a bit. The idea that there are people who may have actually read some damn post or another and, God forbid, formed an opinion about it. Opinions like "This sucks". 


Or "This sucks worse than I expected".


Or "This sucks less than I thought it would but it still sucks".


I may have self-esteem issues. 


Anyway...


Recently, I became aware of an odd thing happening with the Top 10 blog posts data. Coming in at #1 for several days in a row was this post from November 4th, 2013. I wrote this post after the death of legendary comics artist Nick Cardy. Here are a couple of his Teen Titans covers.







The man was pretty damn awesome.

Still, I have to wonder, why the all the attention to this particular post. It's nearly 3 years old but not only has it been consistently #1 for over the last week or so but the number of hits for it are over double what I see for other posts. 


What's up with that? 


I just Googled "Nick Cardy" to see if there's been some kind of discovery of lost Cardy artwork or something but no. 


OK, I lied. I didn't Google it. I Bing'd it.


I'm so ashamed. 


So the surge in traffic for the Nick Cardy post remains a mystery. Almost as big a mystery as why Ryan Lochte really thought he could get away with making up the story that he and three other US Olympic swimmers were robbed at gunpoint. Instead, Ryan and his homies vandalized a bathroom and urinated on a wall. I hope the United States and Brazil don't go to war over this. They'll attack us with Zika mosquitoes and we'll fire back with streams of pee. It seems, however, that Ryan Lochte has apologized so maybe that will defuse international tensions.

 

Speaking of apologizing, Donald Trump apologized... sort of. He said in Charlotte NC on Thursday that he "regrets" some stuff he's said that may have caused "personal pain". We're not exactly sure who he is apologizing too; it is admittedly a very long list. But you know he means well so there you go. Donald Trump's a nice guy and his one day of contrition makes up for... hold on, let me do some math here... carry the one and...425 days of saying mean stuff since he announced he was running for President.

 

Trump campaign entity and bowling team mascot Paul Mannaford stepped down from Donald's campaign. Donald's new team wasn't going to let Paul play any reindeer games. Plus Mannaford had problems with exposed connections to pro-Russian politicians in the Ukraine and Trump didn't need someone like that bringing down bad press on his campaign. That's Trump's job.

 

Speaking of Russia and bringing things back to my blog, traffic from Russia has died down. It got kind of high last week which makes me really, really, really nervous. I mean, we saw what the Russians did to the computers at the Democratic National Committee. I don't want to think about what would happen if the Russians decided to shut down I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You. What would I do without my blog? I might have to, I don't know, communicate with my family. 


Note to self: confirm I still have a family.  


OK then, that's enough for one day, I think. Hey, Doctor Who stuff coming up on the blog tomorrow. So there's that to look forward to. 


So until next time, take time to appreciate the art of Nick Cardy and to my good, good friends in Russia, "Будьте добры друг к другу и не врезаться мой компьютер.*" 

 

*Be good to one another and do not crash my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...