Friday, August 26, 2016

Under the Weather


Hi there! Dave-El here and I'm still stuck here at the Fortress of Ineptitude, as the saying goes, "under the weather". Which never made sense to me since we're all technically under the weather. I mean the sky above us is where the weather is happening, right? So how does being "under the weather" get linked up with being sick?  

So exactly how am I feeling? When I swallow, it's feels like I'm swallowing Jell-O with little bits of fruit in it except instead of bits of fruit, it's thumb tacks. So there's that. And the overall body aches, that's sort of a je ne sais quois type of thing, bad enough to make me miserable but not actually bad enough to do me the kindness of killing me and putting me out of my misery. 

Yes, I guess I do whine a lot when I'm sick but I have this bad feeling no one believes me when I'm sick. "Oh, he's just trying to get out of something," I imagine people saying. So I feel compelled to emphasize my plight which of course makes it sound like I'm, to quote Ryan Lotche, "over exaggerating" things and creates the very level of distrust I want to avoid.  

It's enough to make me sick. 

My wife Andrea has not been well either. She started feeling bad really late Friday night which wouldn't have been such a big deal except we had an impromptu "date night" (if you know what I mean) and then she gets sick. So that didn't do a lot of my ego, I'll tell you. 

No, I was fine myself until Tuesday when nature hit me upside the head with whatever this is and we both spent Wednesday in bed all day which is not the romantic wonderland you would think that would be. Andrea actually went back to work on Thursday but I opted to spend the day at home where in half hour increments I see-sawed between "I'm such a wuss, I should've gone back to work" and "Oh my God, why can't I just die?"  

I need to learn to embrace being sick in a more positive manner. 

One good thing is I get to watch a lot more TV than I usually do. I got to see two classic Star Trek episodes, Errand of Mercy and City on the Edge of Forever, one of the few good eps from Star Trek: The Next Generation's 2nd season, Q Who? which introduced the Borg. 

I also got to see episodes of Hill Street Blues (apparently there's this cable channel I have called Heroes & Icons that runs a lot of classic crime shows plus all the Star Trek stuff plus Xena and Hercules.)  

I also watched episodes of Parks and Recreation, Raising Hope, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, Seinfeld, The Middle and I even stumbled across an old episode of Mad About You. (Man, I didn't think anybody was running those.)  

I also caught up on my binge re-watch of 30 Rock on Netflix, moving halfway through Season 2. I'm also catching up on Portlandia and rewatching The Guild.  

Good times. These are memories I will cherish. 

Meanwhile my daughter is staying the hell away from the Fortress, preferring the company of her grandfather who is not sick and serves her copious amounts of bacon and coffee. 

So despite being sick, it's really a win-win situation all around.  

So that's all for me. But don't worry. I am still committed to posting something new on this blog everyday of the highest caliber. 

Or whatever shit I can crank out in 5 minutes. Hey, you take your chances. You didn't pay to get in here.  

Thanks for dropping by. Remember to be good to one another.

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Doctor Who Is On the Way

 The news broke last week at that the new season of Doctor Who will be debut on Saturday May 11th on the BBC. Doctor Who on Saturday as it...