Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Philadelphia Freedom

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the onions on the cheesesteak sandwich that is the internet. 

I'm Dave-El and tomorrow I am taking part in something I've never done before: I'm going on a business trip.  

I'll be boarding a plane Wednesday morning to fly to Philadelphia where I'll spend part of my day in an office after which I'll fly back to Greensboro that evening.  So, no, I will not be needing info on where the best hookers are in Philly, at least not for this trip, thank you. 


Seriously, I can't help thinking there's been some kind of mistake in that I've been entrusted to get on an airplane by myself and then disembark said airplane, hail a cab and get myself to a meeting in downtown Philly, all without the accompaniment of a far more responsible adult than I. Then I have to reverse all that and get myself back home, all solo.  


I'm a firm believer that whatever can go wrong will go wrong. I also believe that point of view is optimistic.  


So I'm going to Philadelphia which seems kind of random for me. I mean, it's not random for the purposes of this business trip; that's where the business stuff is. But for me personally, I can't say I've had a burning overwhelming desire to go to Philly.  But in that I've never been there, I'm looking forward to seeing the place.  


I'm reminded of a story that I believe was attributed to President Franklin D. Roosevelt but quite frankly, it could apply to almost any political leader. The story goes that FDR was forced to take a position that was counter to statements made in a speech he gave in Philadelphia. 


When an aide points that out, FDR reportedly told the aide to "deny it." 

"Deny you gave the speech?" the aide asked. 

"No," FDR replied, "Deny I was in Philadelphia."  


So I guess I'm off to Philadelphia.  It's been awhile since I've flown on a plane. I'm a little concerned about space. I'm 6 feet 1 inches (1 1/2 if it's a full moon) and I understand seats on airplanes now accommodate people as tall as 5 feet. So this could be a bit uncomfortable. 


But I have to take a plane or risk exposing my secret identity.  


Superman art by Alex Ross 



















Now THAT's the way to fly!

Everyone be good to one another. 

Amended, July 16, 11:15 PM

Just flew back from Philly and boy are my arms tired. 

Actually, everything is tired. A report on the trip coming up on Sunday. 

_________________________

Blog keeping business: The next post is Thursday and we'll be back with It Came Thru Bruce Wayne's Window, an ALL NEW Broken News on Friday and Saturday sees the debut of a new Doctor Who fan fiction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: It's a Beavis & Butthead Renaissance

  This image below has been making the rounds on social media following this past weekend's Saturday Night Live. It's Mikey Day and ...