Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Giving of Thanks; the Not Eating of Turkey

Hi there! Dave-El and welcome to I’m So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the number one blog choice of internet surfing turkeys.

Hey, hey, hey, if you’re in the U.S. of A, today is Thanksgiving, a day where we overstuff ourselves on way too much food that is probably not all that good for us. Then we join the long marathon slog towards Christmas that actually started two weeks ago when one of my local radio stations switched to an all-Christmas format.

If you are somewhere else in the world, wondering perhaps if you may need to downgrade your goat from beloved member of the family to entrée, you’re probably wondering what the hell is wrong with us. As a proud lifelong citizen of this great country, my response to that is, “No, I don’t know what the hell is wrong with us.”

I think it’s ironic that America has a holiday called Thanksgiving. Whatever our problems and shortcomings as a nation, we do have so much to be thankful. But apparently we require a national holiday to remind us to be thankful for all that. That is the problem with a largess of good fortune. When there is so much to be thankful, are we truly thankful for anything.

Not that everyone in America gets to share in this cornucopia of consumption but those are people who will find whatever space they can and be thankful, truly and sincerely thankful. When you have so little, you tend to be very thankful for what you have.

So count your blessings and if need a calculator to sort it all out, well, I hope for your continued good fortune.

If you can count your blessing on one hand, I hope your fortunes improve but God bless you for your strength and your faith. We should all be so blessed.

And regardless of your status in life, just remember to be good to one another. 


________________________________________________

On the Monday after Thanksgiving when everyone goes back to work, the following question will be inescapable: “Did you get enough turkey?”

And the answer is usually something along the lines of “Oh God yes! I’m going to turn into a turkey if I eat one more turkey sandwich.”

Except you won’t get this answer from me. Because for several years now I have not been able to get turkey on Thanksgiving.

Oh don’t feel sorry for me. I’ve gotten more than my share of food at Thanksgiving, just not turkey. Why? My wife, daughter and I usually have Thanksgiving dinner at my brother-in-law’s house where they have a wonderful spread of all sorts of good stuff, including my father-in-law’s famous fried dressing. It is SO good.

But every year the meat is usually something that is not turkey. We had roasted chicken one year, steaks another. All in all, very good stuff. But just not turkey.  And so while everyone else has OD’d on turkey, I actually have a very strong craving for it post Thanksgiving.

This year we’re spending Thanksgiving Day with my mother and I know there will be turkey because I’ve going to freakin’ cook one my own damn self.

So you know if posts stop happening on this blog, that means I've been taken out by botulism and/or 3rd degree burns. 
















________________________________________________


There is a post already in the chute for tomorrow as I present a Broken News special, Black Friday Benghazi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: Easter Explained!

  This Sunday is Easter. And Your Friday Video Link for today is Jim Gaffigan explaining Easter. Sort of.  Don't worry, there's a bu...