Thursday, April 2, 2015

Don't Worry: There's a Bunny

Tomorrow (Friday), I have the day off from work. A massive Fortune 500 financial services company will be closed because about 2,000 years ago,  the Son of God who had come to Earth with the message that God loves us and wouldn't it be great if we could just be nice to one another got nailed to a tree for his trouble.

Here in America where certain Christians try to paint themselves as an oppressed minority in the face of secularism and the homosexual agenda, several private corporations and public government entities will take time off in observance of a day that even more so than Christmas is most decidedly a Christian thing.

Not everybody gets the day off. My wife has to work. She too works in the financial services industry; I don't want to say who she works for but if they ever need an animal mascot (like the Geico gekko), I would suggest the boa constrictor.

But still there are quite a lot of people who will have Good Friday off. (A few out there may still opt to take the Monday after Easter.) I'm not against this, per se (after all, I'm getting a day off from work), but I am struck by the irony that two big Christian events (Christmas and Easter) still dominate the American secular calendar. Meanwhile, there are Christians out there who see themselves as under siege and seeking extra protections from government to defend themselves from assaults on their faith and their way of life. 

You may think Christianity is under attack in America but I would like to remind you that my company doesn't close for Ramadan or Yom Kippur. It does close for Christmas and Easter. Make of that what you will. 

I've never been a big Easter person. Outside the actual religious elements of the observance of Easter (which I find to be quite moving and inspiring), the rest of it, eh, I'm not a fan. 

  • I don't like spring.
  • I don't care for being outside.
  • I never liked Easter egg hunts. 
  • I have a deep hatred for pastels. 
  • I never really liked chocolate rabbits. 
  • I don't like boiled eggs that much. 

There are some really weird things attached to Easter. Over at Christmas, wise men brought gifts for baby Jesus so Santa Claus brings gifts for good boys and girls. I can make that connection. But the Easter Bunny? Man, you've lost me on that one. 

I think comedian Jim Gaffigan very effectively summarized the absurdities of Easter traditions as follows. 

  • Woman: How are we going to celebrate that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead?
  • Man: How about eggs?
  • Woman: I don't see what that has to do with Jesus.
  • Man: OK, we'll hide 'em. 
  • Woman: I'm not following your logic.
  • Man: Don't worry. There's a bunny. 

So that's it for today. Whatever your beliefs, I hope you have a great weekend. And as Jesus might say, "Really, what's the deal with the hollow chocolate bunnies?" Oh, and, "Be good to one another." 

Dave-El
I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Doctor Who Is On the Way

 The news broke last week at that the new season of Doctor Who will be debut on Saturday May 11th on the BBC. Doctor Who on Saturday as it...