Wednesday, June 3, 2015

On This Day In History, June 3, 1969

OK, I need some help here. I have June 3 circled on my calendar with a note adding "1969". I'm thinking this might be important but danged if I can remember what it is. So I've looked up June 3, 1969 on Wikipedia to see if something my jog my memory.  

June 3, 1969 was the date of the tragic Melbourne–Evans collision: off the coast of South Vietnam, the Australian aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne cuts the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Frank E. Evans in half. 74 crew members on the Evans were killed. 

OK, that's a bummer but I don't believe this is what I was trying to remind myself of on my calendar.  

Later, Australia would inflict more damage on America through Yahoo Serious, Crocodile Dundee, Midnight Oil and some god awful thing called "Vegemite". 












June 3, 1969 saw another tragic loss of life, the death of George Edwin Cooke an American amateur soccer player. Born in 1883, Cooke competed in the 1904 Summer Olympics; his team won the bronze medal.  

Yeah, I don't think that's it either. Hey, let's look at the other end of the life continuum, see if anyone important was born on that day. 

Ooh, look at this. Takako Minekawa was born on June 3, 1969. A noted Japanese singer-songwriter, Takako Minekawa is an accomplished all-around musician who writes and composes most of her material, singing quirky lyrics about subjects such as clouds, cats, and the color white. She often makes use of vintage Casio keyboards and analog Moog synthesizers, as well as vocoders and other electronic instruments.

Her favorite song is "That White Cloud Looks Like A Cat"
composed on a Playskool xylophone.




 
















Quite a remarkable woman but still, I don't think that this is why I was supposed to remember June 3, 1969. 

Still, mentioning birthdays does trigger something. I'm pretty sure now that June 3 is the birthday of someone I know, someone born in 1969. 

OK, I'm stumped. I'll go ask my wife Andrea.  

<15 minutes later> 

Well, ah, this is, er, rather (ahem!) awkward but it seems that June 3, 1969 is when Andrea, my wife, my extremely patient and loving wife, was born. 

So there's...that. 

So, Happy Birthday, Andrea! 

















Where would I be without you? (Probably dead 'cause any other woman would've killed me by now.) Love you, hope you have a great day! 

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you. 

Dave-El  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...