Saturday, June 20, 2015

The State of the Blog

Hi there! I'm Dave-El and this is I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, also known as ISGMSAY which is pronounced exactly the way you think it is.  

Today, I want to be a bit reflective about this silly, goofy thing I do here every day. 

First of all, it is EVERY day. Yep, since January 1st, I've posted something every single day. In 2014, I posted 300 times over the course of the entire year. So there were 65 days where I didn't. But this year, so far there's something here every day. You know, for that kind of dedication, you would think I would be more of a beloved world treasure among the internetatti.  

When I began this blog in March 2013, I really didn't think of what my mission statement for this endeavor would be beyond "Write about whatever pops into my damn head." And so far, I seem to be sticking to that.

Posts range from Doctor Who geekfests, sarcastic introspective musings, off the wall who the hell knows that I'm doing (wait til you see what crazy stuff goes down on this blog next week!) and rage filled rants against the stupidity and the evil this world seems to have in abundant supply (like yesterday's post on the murder of 9 people in Charleston SC.) 

One thing I thought I would do more of is kvetch. With a title like I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, you would think this blog would be filled with more posts on waiting in long lines, bad drivers, terrible customer service experiences...you know, me bangin my head in frustration with First World problems. 

But really this blog is about everything and nothing which is a fairly accurate representation of my thought processes.

I don't think much about interactions with this blog. Mostly I just assume I'm talking to myself. But occasionally I look at the blog stats to see what's going on. Below is a list of the top 10 posts accessed through Thursday, June 18th. 


 

Seven of those 10 posts are more recent, all in June, all but one from the past week. What interests me are the older ones that appear on this list.

Two of them are relative newcomers: Untold Tales is a very brief Doctor Who/Star Trek mash up script while Surreal Knock Knocks Jokes is what you think it is and yes, it's also not as funny as you think it is too. 

But the one that really intrigues me is at #7: The Amazing 200! It's a blog post I wrote in September 2013, my 200th post to this blog. The thing is The Amazing 200 is always there. As I said, I don't check these stats that often but when I do, that post is there. Other posts come and go but this one is a constant presence in the top 10. Why? 


The premise was I would post 200 (approximately) things about myself. Now I am an awesome person, no doubt. Really, my humility alone is unbeatable. But is that enough to keep driving traffic to that post week after week for almost two years? 

I'm guessing it's probably the women. Here are pictures of some of the women who made appearances in that post.






Zooey Deschanel is America's Sweetheart and Tina Fey is the Goddess of Comedy. After over 30 years, Catherine Bach as Daisy Duke is still a big draw. And I once read that Katy Perry is one of the most Googled women on the internet. 

But could the appeal of that post really be about the women? Maybe its because of the kittens.


Or maybe Invader Zim?



What makes one blog post a weekly favorite while other posts are not read nearly as much? If I could figure that out, I would rule the internet. OK, I already rule the internet but I would rule it more overtly. 

__________________________________

The coming week is going to be very busy for me. But I've come too far to stop now: this blog will post every day, no matter what. This is my promise to you, the noble and befuddled reader who came here by mistake because you thought this was an S&M site. 

No, it's not. 

Not yet.  

Anyway, here's what's coming up. 

Tomorrow is Sunday. All right I can't take credit for that. Sunday was already on the schedule. But I can take credit for tomorrow's weekly Doctor Who post as my look back at 10 Years of Doctor Who Reborn looks at Series 4 1/2, otherwise known as the year of the specials. Next Sunday will be another Doctor Who post but I'll be taking break from the 10 year review. 10 Years of Doctor Who Reborn will return the Sunday after that, July 5th. 

What is harder to explain is what will be posting here Monday through Saturday of next week. Have you ever struggled with an addiction to something and wondered, "Hey, if Hitler was alive and a doctor, what kind of advice would he offer?" If you have...and that would be really weird...then look for not one, not two but six (SIX!) days (in a row, mind you!) of...

Breaking Weird: Ask Dr. Hitler. 

It may be the dumbest things I've ever posted since The Internet Is For Corn and It Came Through Bruce Wayne's Window

So I hope you find it amusing. And hopefully not that offensive. 

Oh I am so on a fast track to hell.

And I'm so glad my suffering amuses you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Out Of Office

OK, technically I am in the office. I working at my work-work computer which is within sight of my personal laptop wherein I compose this bl...