Monday, January 8, 2018

Watched the Golden Globes...Mostly

Watched the Golden Globes last night mostly. Did wind up turning in with about a 3rd of the show left. 

What can I say? I'm old and I actually like going to bed early.

What I did see: 

Seth Meyers' opening monologue was pretty good. There were a couple of presidential barbs but mostly Seth saved his fire for the topic of sexual harassment and misconduct in Hollywood. 

Carol Burnett popped up to present an award with Jennifer Anniston. Carol's pushing what, 180? But still very sharp and funny as ever. 

Allison Janney shows up with a fake bird on her shoulder. OK, that's weird. Then Allison turns to the bird and tells it to “Shut up.” OK, that's weird and I'm in love with Allison Janney. 

James Franco's win for portraying Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist included Wiseau himself who shared the stage with Franco who wisely (or rudely, your mileage may vary) kept the microphone out of Wiseau's reach. Oh so close, Tommy, yet so far.  

Amy Sherman-Palladino shows up to accept the win for Best Comedy Series for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I guess I gotta hook up with Amazon Prime and get with this show. Anyway, Amy S-P sporting a cool hat gives a shout to Spanx” and announces, “I’m going backstage. Is there cheese backstage?”



I was asleep by the time this came around but this was too cool not to acknowledge. While presenting the award for best director with Ron Howard, Natalie Portman made it point to make sure we knew all the nominees were male. All of them, male.  

Outside of wanting to see Seth's monologue, I'm not sure why I stuck with the show as long as I did. A lot of awards for TV shows and movies I haven't seen, will not see or have even heard of.  

I'm just getting old and like going to bed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: It's a Beavis & Butthead Renaissance

  This image below has been making the rounds on social media following this past weekend's Saturday Night Live. It's Mikey Day and ...