Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Great Krypton! The Red Underwear Is Back!


Big news in the world of comic books: Superman’s red underwear is back!  On the outside!  




Since the roll out of the New 52 back in September 2011, Superman’s costume has been sans the red trunks. It is a look reflected in Superman’s appearance in the DCEU films under Zack Snyder and the version of the Man of Steel we’ve seen on Supergirl. 


I guess the inherent logic of such a move is to have Superman’s outfit look less like a costume and more like a uniform. We’ve heard the jokes about Superman wearing is underwear on the outside of his pants. Removing the red trunks took away an object of derision and ridicule.


It also doesn’t work. 


I mean, I’m not sure but the more modern look seems incomplete. Maybe that’s just old habits talking or nostalgia but Superman looks more like Superman with red trunks. Without them, he looks like just another super hero.  


I don’t know if we’re getting worked up for nothing. The image is for Jim Lee’s cover for Action Comics#1000. Maybe Jim is just going with Supe’s most iconic look for this epic milestone in comic book history. But I’m hoping this is a real and substantive change in Superman’s design.


Speaking of Action Comics#1000, long time Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis will make his DC debut with a 10 page story illustrated by Jim Lee. Now I’m worried that it will be 10 pages of repetitive banter as Clark and Lois debate the merits of adding the red shorts back to Superman’s costume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...