Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A Quick 2nd Day of 2018 Check In


Hello!

 

Today is the 2nd day of 2018. How are we doing so far?

 

Last January began a series of medical mishaps for me that influenced the course of the year.  Yesterday, day 1 of 2018 begin with a medical mishap for my wife, Andrea. She fell in the bathroom where she managed to somehow tear off a toe nail. Ouch! OK, not up there with a stroke and  a shattered elbow so there’s that to be thankful for but she is nonetheless in a  lot of discomfort and is not a good harbinger for the year to come.

 

Things are different for my daughter Randie who over the Christmas break got her driver’s license. I’m a little nostalgic. It only seems like yesterday that I was fretting that my baby daughter was secure in the car seat in the back of the car. Now’s she’s at the front of the car, driving it. She’s been driving over a year with her permit but now she can drive without requiring a licensed adult in the car with her.  

 

Randie also got a new guitar for Christmas and she’s coming along with it quite well. It’s a classical guitar designed to look that guitar featured in the Pixar film Coco. Coco has been a particularly strong inspiration for Randie in pursuing her passions for art and music. 

 

This past weekend, we ventured forth from the Fortress of Ineptitude to what I still refer to as mom’s house. She will have been dead a year this month but as family gathered in the old homestead for a post-Christmas get together, her spirit felt alive to us in that place. My step brother is acting as a caretaker for the house. With him keeping an eye out on the place, I’m postponing making any decisions about the house. Part of me wants to let it go but I know that if I did that, I will never go back to that town again. When I was younger, I would not have cared about that. I’m much older now and somehow keeping a link to that place is more important than I imagined it would be.

 

Over the holiday, we went to see the new Jumanji movie. I’ll probably do a write up about that for tomorrow.

 

Until next time, remember to be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: Ocean's Eight

Today marks the end of a Cinema Saturday series of posts that began in January.  Today is the 4th post covering the Ocean's trilogy. The...