Saturday, January 13, 2018

Hitting the Road


Hi there!

 

This weekend marks the one year anniversary of my fateful fall that shattered my left elbow and revealed I had a stroke. And we’re a few days away from it being one year since my mother passed away.

 

So yeah, that’s where my head is at.

 

If all goes according to plan, my daughter Randie and I are making a day trip down to the ol’ homestead.  Along with my wife Andrea, we made the trip on December 30th to spend some post-holiday time with my step brother Roger, nieces and cousins. We’re making this trip because my daughter left her very expensive wireless headphones her mother got her for Christmas in our previous visit. Roger offered to ship them to us but Randie as anxious to make a road trip.

 

Randie likes to take road trips with me. Recently during a day off from work for the holidays, we made an excursion to Philpott Dam in Virginia. Why? C’mon! Who can resist a road trip to a place called “Philpott Dam”? 

 

Anyway, Randie saw an opportunity for a road trip with dad in recovering her head phones. No, we’re not taking Andrea. I feel bad about that but to be honest, she just slows us down whenever we go anywhere. Frequently, Randie and I are left to wait impatiently while Andrea packs for a trip. And it doesn’t matter the duration of the trip; she packs for it like she climbing Mt. Everest.

 

If I plan to leave the Fortress of Ineptitude at 8 AM, without Andrea,  I will leave the Fortress of Ineptitude at 8 AM.  If I’m going with Randie, she’s already behind the wheel at 7:55 wondering what’s keeping me. 

 

If I plan to leave the Fortress of Ineptitude at 8 AM, with Andrea,  we will leave the Fortress of Ineptitude at 11 AM.  Randie has a white knuckled grip of rage on the steering wheel. I have taught her well. 

 

Many, many years ago when Randie was but a toddler, she was riding in her car seat in the back. A car pulled out in front of me. Thankfully, my cat like reflexes of a trained ninja kicked is as I avoided a collision. I gripped the steering wheel and yelled at the clueless offending driver, “STUPID!”  

 

Sometime later, back home a the Fortress of Ineptitude, Randie clambered into the front seat to pretend she was driving. She gripped the steering wheel firmly with both hands and yelled “STUPID!”  

 

That’s my daughter. I was so proud at that moment. Still am today.

 

I just realized I casually referenced having a step brother named Roger earlier and I don’t think over the 5 years of this blog, I’ve mentioned that before.  I should rectify that.

 

But not today. Time to hit the road. Randie’s  already behind the wheel wondering what’s keeping me. 

 

Remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Invincible

All hail and praise unto Victoria Groce!  She was the champion of the  Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament! Her victory also meant that the i...