Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Doctor Who Is NEW!: Praxeus

As they say here in America, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Which, to be honest, I'm not sure if that idiom applies here. Mostly it's used for people who are stupid and not just behind schedule. 

Which is where we are: behind schedule. 

I love Doctor Who! Doctor Who is my jam! 

I do not love football! I do not understand the rules of football.  Football perplexes me and it bores me.

And yet, Sunday I chose football over Doctor Who.

Here at I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, this is heresy! 

HERESY, I TELLS YA! 

HERESY! 

I'm sorry. 

But I'm an American and it was the Super Bowl. 

I had no choice.

<Choke!>  <Sob!>

No...   choice....

Anyway, Andrea and I caught up with Doctor Who on Monday. After Fugitive of the Judoon, were there any shocks and surprises in Praxeus?

Let's look into that. 

After the spoiler break.




PRAXEUS 
by Pete McTighe and Chris Chibnall

Last week's episode ending with a tease for what was to come for this week with stuff going on in three different parts of the world.

Birds falling out of the sky in Peru and a young woman is missing. Ryan's on the case.

A British police officer (on sabbatical) in Hong Kong looking for his husband Adam, an astronaut who's gone missing. Don't worry, Yaz and Graham are there to help. 

A naval officer washes ashore in Madagascar, the last survivor of a missing submarine. The Doctor is on the scene.

It all does come together. There's an alien virus loose on Earth called Praxeus.  Praxeus feeds of plastic and we humans have been so very, very bad to our planet, there's just tons of plastic for this alien virus to feed off of and kill us all.

See? Environmentalists have been warning us for decades that plastic would  be the death of us! 

There is a lot of the rushing about, hyperventilating and rapid fire plot exposition we've come to expect from the Chris Chibnall era of Doctor Who. And boy is this show crowded with at least 6 guest stars and the three companions and the Doctor.  

That being said, the fam does get moments to shine including Yaz venturing off on her own to follow an alien to who knows where. Yaz seemed a bit more driven and confident that usual which led to me to think this was building to something. Nope, it didn't.  

Subtle but funny bit. Graham is working a scanner thingy and says, "That energy reading we're tracking is behind that wall." Yaz calmly turns the device around. And Graham says, "Is behind that door."  

And the different world wide locales is a nice touch. Even if it just re-purposed parts of the UK or South Africa, I like this globe trotting aspect of the series.  

The environmental message was a bit heavy handed but it's hard to deny that we're swimming into too much plastic. 

And for everything going on, there's no time for a second of the Doctor's concerns regarding Gallifrey, the Master and that other Doctor.  

Too hectic, too cluttered and too crowded, Praxeus still manages to be a fun and scary episode.  
_________________________

Later today, it's the Tuesday TV Touchbase as we say good bye to The Good Place.   












No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...