Saturday, February 22, 2020

Songs For Saturday: ABBA

Hi there and welcome to another installment of Songs For Saturday, my weekly forum for where I post songs I like and you're forced to listen to them for I am a blogger and I have ultimate power over all of you! HA! HA! HA! HA!


OK, fine, you're not forced listen. But you should listen because my taste in music is exquisite and eclectic as hell.

Today, we're gonna focus on the music of ABBA.

Why? Well, there's a smattering of snow on the ground around the ol' Fortress of Ineptitude and it's put me in a Nordic mood. So let's pipe in some music from Sweden, OK?

Our first track from ABBA is an obscure number that was part of the ABBA Gold Compilation released years after the Swedish quartet broke up. This is an uptempo ode to big city urban life called "I Am the City".









The next tune from ABBA is perhaps their most endearingly upbeat pop music concoction.  I would say that even more so than "Dancing Queen", this song is quintessential ABBA.

Give a listen to "Take a Chance On Me". 









When I was a much younger Dave-El, being an ABBA fan was a lonely exercise. I mean even with "Dancing Queen" burning up the charts, I didn't know of another ABBA fan. Of course, I was living in a small rural southern town at the time.

Imagine my wonder and surprise as I got older to find others who were as moved by ABBA's music as I was. Enough others to fuel the success of a Broadway show, Mamma Mia, that spawned a successful movie.

Which in turn spawn a sequel that I dare say may have been better than the original. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again almost made me cry.

Next is a version of "Super Trooper" that played over the closing credits of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again featuring everybody in the cast.












Let's end this ABBA post where it all began. The big break out hit that took ABBA to the winner's circle of the Eurovision Song contest and launched their rocket to superstardom.

The original and still a toe tapping favorite, here is "Waterloo".






And that is that for our post today.

Next week, Songs For Saturday will spotlight musical performances by the stars of Doctor Who.

Until next time, remember to be good to one another and to keep the music alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Saturday: My Dinner With Andre

Well, it's been a wild ride on Cinema Saturday for the month of April.   We started off with a nuclear submarine on a mission to stop a ...