Saturday, June 20, 2020

Songs For Saturday: The Four Tops, Diana Ross & the Supremes and Marvin Gaye


Pull out the  Bat Head Phones! 
Put 'em on yer head! 
Time for Songs For Saturday! 
Time to get yer grove on...er...Ted?

OK, that rhyme got away from there.

Today's Songs For Saturday takes us back to my childhood.

OK, a lot of these songs came out when I was still a toddler but when I was a bit older, these songs were frequently on classic oldies stations, filling the hot summertime air.

My favorite songs on these oldies stations were from the performers for Motown Records which is where our Songs For Saturday spotlight falls today. 

Let's kick off our play list for today with my second favorite song by The Four Tops,  "Reach Out (I'll Be There)".   



If you don't mind, let's listen to MORE of The Four Tops with my absolutely favorite song by these guys, "There's Something About You."  



"Lover's Concerto" was originally released by a girl group known as the Toys.  What we have next is a cover by the queen bees of the Motown label, Diana Ross and the Supremes.  




Click here for the original version of "Lover's Concerto" by The Toys.  

I couldn't do a post on my favorite Motown music without including Marvin Gaye.  Up next is a song that was often imitated but never duplicated, Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."  




And this is just scratching the surface of the great Motown songs I grew up listening to and still love today. 

Thanks for popping by. Remember to be good to one another and to always keep the music alive. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Cinema Sunday: The Man Who Knew Too Much

"A" is for April. And "A" is for Alfred.   As in Alfred Hitchcock. As April draws to a close, Cinema Sunday's Alfred...