Saturday, August 8, 2015

Amy the Accidental Advocate

A note from the I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You editorial staff (that would be me):

I actually wrote this piece to go up on the blog Tuesday but my off the cuff rant against "some people say" turned into a three-parter. So I moved it to Thursday, then Friday as posts centering around the GOP Debates and the departure of Jon Stewart from the Daily Show took precedence. So I moved it to Saturday and there it would stay, I promised myself. 

When I first wrote this, Sen. Chuck Schumer was a good guy for stepping up to help his cousin Amy Schumer with new gun control measures in the wake of the tragic killing of two women at a showing of Amy's movie, Trainwreck. 

Since yesterday (Friday), Chuck's name is "mud" after his announcement that would not support the Iran nuclear deal. Whatever one might think of that deal, Chuck's decision still seems like kind of a dick move.

OK, I'll see if I can explore this a bit more about this in Monday's post. But it means putting off what I've already written for Monday.

It's about ducks.

Dave-El
Saturday, August 8th

_____________________________________________


"I went home with this French guy 'cause 
he said something adorable, 
like, 'I have an apartment.'"

In recent months, I’ve really gotten into Amy Schumer. And by “into Amy Schumer”, I mean I really like her comedy.


Get your minds out of the gutters, you pervs.

I’ve been catching up on installments of her Comedy Central show, Inside Amy Schumer, as well as clips from various talk show appearances and stand up routines. The strength of her comedy comes from a total lack of shame. She is, for example, disturbingly frank about her vagina. But it’s only disturbing if you’re not used to a woman making jokes about her vagina the same way male comedians toss around penis jokes.


"She's always bragging about the dumbest stuff. 
The other day she was telling me, she's like, 
'You know I can still fit in my wedding dress.' 
I was like, 'Oh my god, who cares, right?' 
I mean it is weird that she's the same size now 
as she was when she was 8 months pregnant."



I have not had an opportunity to see Trainwreck which is a shame because I hear it is hilarious, Amy’s great in it and it also features my good friend, Bill Hader.*



*Full disclosure: Bill Hader is actually not my good friend but would be if he would just give me a chance and respond to one my damn Twitter DMs once in a while!**

**Sorry. I'll go take my meds now.  



But one must never forget that truism, "Life is what happens when you're making other plans." And in the case of Amy Schumer, this wildly funny woman with her successful TV show and her big hit movie in theaters, this was most definitely and tragically the case. 

Unfortunately, Trainwreck has found itself as a focal point in America’s ongoing tragedy of gun deaths. Several weeks ago at a showing of this movie in Louisiana, 2 women were killed and nearly a dozen more people were injured when a nut case with a mad on for women decided to take some out with his gun. A gun control advocate wrote an open letter directed to Amy Schumer’s attention, urging her to use her celebrity to push for stronger gun control in this country. 



Amy Schumer responded that the women killed in that senseless assault had not left her thoughts. As for doing something, Amy said, she was on it.



Monday saw a press conference held by Amy Schumer and New York Senator Chuck Schumer. Wow! What a coincidence that they have the same last name, right? Actually no. Apparently Amy and Chuck are cousins. Who knew? Can you imagine those family get togethers?  
  • Chuck Schumer: “This week I wrote a new piece of legislation to benefit the American people.”
  • Amy Schumer:This week I wrote 5 brand new jokes about my vagina!”

But I digress. This was serious business as the comic actress and the US Senator shared a stage to announce proposed legislation that would reward states that submit information to the background-check system and penalize states that don't comply. Of course this is just one measure and it has to get past a US Congress that is so deep in the pockets of the NRA. But perhaps this pairing of two family members from such different perspectives on life, maybe this is what it will take to get something started. As Amy herself said, "“These shootings have got to stop, I don’t know how else to say it.”


And if the NRA tries to shut this effort down, we’ll send Amy Schumer over to their offices where she will discuss her vagina. 

"It's work having a vagina. 
Guys don't think that its work but it is. 
You think it shows up like that to the event? 
It doesn't. Every night it's like getting it ready 
for its first Quinceanera, believe me."



But all jokes aside, let this be the time that we finally say enough is enough. Let this be the time we can start winning back our freedom from fear and violence.

More so that ever, please, be good to one another. 



Dave-El

I’m So Glad My Suffering Amuses You



Amy Schumer showing David Letterman some
leg on her last Late Show appearance. 
You never know for sure with You Tube but here are some links to some Inside Amy Schumer sketches. (Sorry, I don't have any links for Chuck Schumer's comedy act.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...