Monday, December 28, 2015

While I Was Making Other Plans

Hi there. 

If the post you're reading right now is not about Doctor Who, Star Wars, comic books, bozo politicians or any of the other goofball things I write about here, then that means, as the young people say, "shit got real".  

As I write this on Saturday night (12/26/2015), my mother is in the hospital and isn't in very good shape. Her blood pressure was at one point as high as 193/115 which is most decidedly not good. She's been physically ill, delirious and incoherent. 

I've mentioned before about her challenges with physical and mental health over the last year or so. She's been able to manage on her own for a long while but that's not been the case for awhile. The family that lives close to her have managed to keep an eye on her as best they can but mom's clearly in need of more constant oversight, more so than the current resources of the family and her insurance can provide. 

This has been a real struggle for everyone involved. It's hard to watch someone so beloved by the family give way to the ruinous ravages of old age. It's hard to know there's only so much that can be done. It's hard not to think there is more that can be done. It's just hard to deal. 

But deal we must, as best as we can. 

Be good to one another. 

________________________

Amended as of Monday, 12/28/2015, 11:34 AM

There were concerns my mom may have had a stroke. She did not but its becoming clear that even with assistance, she can't stay in her own home. Right as of today, we are looking at nursing homes and other assisted living facilities. So far our options are very limited but we're hopeful a solution can be found.  

Over the next few days, I will probably engage in the usual goofball posts that are the norm for this blog. But humor (or its alleged equivalent) has always been my best defense with stress. When I have a better grasp of what's going on with my mom's care, I will share that here when I feel I can do so.

Thanks for reading and be good to one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...