Saturday, December 12, 2015

Winter Wonder Where the Cold Went Land



Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog that is unseasonably warm. I'm Dave-El and I'm unseasonably moist.

Today is Saturday, December 12th. Christmas is less than 2 weeks away. Believe it or not but Christmas decorations still need to be put up in and around the home I call The Fortress of Ineptitude.

Yes, Christmas time is upon us, that special time of year when the air outside is crisp muggy and cold warm while inside people bundled up in sweaters stripped down to t-shirts gather by a roaring fire oscillating fan and drink a nice hot cup of cider frozen daiquiri.

Let me check the calendar again: Today is Saturday, December 12th. Christmas is less than 2 weeks away.

But today is a sunny almost spring like day with a temperature of 70 degrees.

Well, this sucks.

Yeah, I know the whole deal with a cold, snowy Christmas is actually the exception, not the rule. A whole lot of what we expect from Christmas was established in Victorian England and recorded for posterity in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Here in the United States, I imagine most of the imagery of Christmas is predicated on the New England states. (By the way, this is all on the hush-hush but the United States government is preparing to launch an All New All Different England. Shhh! That's our secret, OK?)  

As a child in North Carolina, I never saw snow at Christmas but I also never spend a day outside without at least a light jacket on. Christmas was cold, man! How cold was it? it was so cold, I would misbehave just so Santa would leave lumps of coal in my stocking that we could use for heat! it was that cold!

Today, if I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt, chances are I'm overdressed for the weather.

OK, I know it'll get cold again. Climate change doesn't just mean things are getting hotter, it means that the weather we get will be more extreme. Today, for example, would have been some years ago a pleasant day in the upper 50's but now it's EXTREME SPRING! Seriously, at some point I imagine we will come near or break records for cold temperatures.

The thing is, that works for me. It's December. We're heading into winter and Christmas time is here and we're supposed to be cold! But days like this really mess with my wiring.

To make up for the lack of snow, peruse this "work of art" I created set in a winter wonderland.



















This appeared in my company's newsletter. Oh yeah, I got sucked into be the newsletter's "staff cartoonist".  Here's another sample of my work, a little something-something for the holiday season.












So that's how I spend part of days now. And I need to come up with an idea for next month. Maybe "Darth Vader vs. Zorro in a coal mine"?

That's all I've got for today. Tomorrow is Sunday and I'll be posting a look back at the 2nd half of Doctor Who Series 9. Until next time, remember to be good to one another.

And stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Down Time

"Blog bidness"? Uh oh!  It's a blog post about the blog.  That's never good.   I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You wil...