Sunday, March 27, 2016

Doctor Who: One More For the Record Books

Hi there! Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog that is bigger on the inside that it is in the basement underneath the blog. I'm Dave-El and my chameleon circuit has left me trapped in the shape of a middle aged man. 

Yes, it's a Doctor Who post because it's Sunday and it's my blog so there! But what can I say, I love Doctor Who. And I far from the only one which brings us to the subject of today's post. 

Last weekend at the La Mole Comic Con in Mexico City, the Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi, was on hand to accept a most unusual Guiness World Record award: the world record for Largest Gathering of People Dressed As Doctor Who Characters.  



















A total of 492 people gathered in one spot, all dressed as Daleks, Cybermen and other aliens as well as various companions and the Doctor himself, all 13! And even fans dressed as the TARDIS! 

As a writer for the Radio Times noted, however, if a certain Scottish gentleman in attendance had brought his red lined black jacket, that number would've been 493. 

But can an actor who is playing or has played the Doctor showing up in costume be counted as "cosplay"? 

Anyway, good job, fellow Whovians in Mexico City but for all us Whovians elsewhere in the world, I say, "492? Challenge accepted!" 

_________________________________

For Whovians who enjoyed watching Doctor Who through streaming services Hulu and Netflex, they have been bereft of their favorite TV show via the internet ever since the BBC pulled Doctor Who from those services over a month ago.

Now Doctor Who will be available for streaming through Amazon Prime starting March 27th. Immediately available will be Series 1 through 8 including all the Christmas specials. Series 9 will not be available until the fall. And there is no word on when or if classic series episodes will be available. 

So the fix is not quite all the way in but at least some Doctor Who is once more available to materialize on your laptops and phones. 

_____________________________

As I write this, the Mystery of the New Companion is still just that, a mystery. Both Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat have said the role has been cast and this character is going to bring something different to the TARDIS, a different tone for the show. 

Capaldi had said the actress was someone he has worked with which sent fans scanning his IMDb page for clues. But I think what he was referring to is that he's met with the new Doctor Who actress, working on their characters and how they'll interact. You know, actor stuff. 

I can assure you that as soon as the news breaks on who this new companion is, I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You will have that information here for you...several days later. 

____________________________

Let's call it a day for today's post. Thanks for dropping by. A new post will be up tomorrow. Until then, remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DMV Adventure

First of all, sorry about yesterday's posts. My birthday rarely yields a celebratory feeling from me but one mostly of a deeply depresse...