Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Hillary's Health

After flying below the radar for several weeks while Donald Trump kept saying and doing stupid things, Hillary Clinton has pushed back to the front of the headlines in a big way. First there was all the brouhaha over her "basket of deplorables" comment. Then the story of Hillary's health jumped to the head of the line.  

At Sunday's commemoration of the September 11th attacks, Hillary Clinton departed early, citing she had become "overheated". While she walked away under her own power, she was seen to nearly collapse as she was helped into a waiting SUV by her Secret Service detail. From there she was taken to her daughter's apartment where she emerged hours later, smiling and waving, reporting that she now felt great. 

Of course you know this means there's a cover up, right? 

Well, you know that if you're part of the alt right element who have been pitching theories about Hillary's health and attempting to diagnose various diseases and ailments by just looking at her. The problem with these nutcase theories is when something like this happens and people can point and declare, "See? I told you! Hillary's sick! You see? YOU SEE?!?!" 

Well, it turns out that.... Hillary's sick. 

OH NO! HILLARY'S SICK?!?! SHE CAN'T BE PRESIDENT!! SHIT! DONALD TRUMP'S GONNA BE PRESIDENT?!?! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! WE ARE SO WELL AND TRULY FUCKED! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

OK, first of all, overreact much? 

Secondly, people get sick. Here, let me turn this over to , Dr. Lisa R. Bardack who is Clinton's personal physician.  

"Secretary Clinton has been experiencing a cough related to allergies. On Friday, during follow up evaluation of her prolonged cough, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was put on antibiotics, and advised to rest and modify her schedule. While at this morning's event, she became overheated and dehydrated. I have just examined her and she is now re-hydrated and recovering nicely." 

Of course this will not satisfy the conspiracy theorists who just figure Dr. Bardack is just covering for whatever fatal and disqualifying condition Mrs. Clinton has. And what's the overheated shit about? It was in the upper 70s/lower 80s in Manhattan on Sunday. It wasn't THAT hot! Oh great, the liberals will blame this on global warming which we all know is a sham just like Hillary, am I right? Am I right?  

But here's the thing...

1) As a person who has had pneumonia twice over the last 9 years, most recently just a few months ago, I know how that illness can progress. It can start simple enough. In my case, it seemed like a sinus infection which I'm prone to, just as Clinton is prone to allergies. In my case, it didn't get better, it got worse and eventually it was clear I had pneumonia. Now, I'll tell you this. When I had pneumonia, if you said, "Dave, we need you to sit out in the sun for several hours," I would have said, "Hell, no!" Yet there was Clinton at the 9/11 memorial making a go of it, barely 2 days after being diagnosed with pneumonia. More power to her. Me, I'm a wimp. No way in hell I would've been up for that. 

2) Feeling overheated is a relative condition. My own experience varies. For example, I can cope with 92 degrees if its dry better than I can 82 degrees if its humid. What I'm wearing, what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, all of these and more are variables that affect how well I cope with heat. So try a little empathy if you can for Hillary Clinton. She's got pneumonia, she's sitting in a pants suit in the sun for an extended period of time. And even if the temperature in NYC wasn't "all that hot", if the humidity in the Big Apple is anything like its been around the my Fortress of Ineptitude, I would think that's plenty hot.  Again, it's all relative. I can better cope with walking half an hour in 92 degree heat than having to stand in a line for the same amount of time in 82 degree temperatures. Your mileage may vary.  

By the time this posts, I'm sure that Fox News will have cross examined every crack pot theorists who has already been vetted by Brietbart News to extol their views on why Hillary Clinton is in the clutches of Rigellian blood fever or some other damn thing. 

Politicians are people. They get sick. Given the stress of a national campaign, it's a wonder more candidates don't work themselves into illnesses more often. Perhaps they do but we've never paid this much attention before. 


The main fly in the ointment surrounding this particular story was the habit of the Clinton campaign to go into "duck and cover" mode on this story. Knowing full well that there's this groundswell of negative speculation about Clinton's health, someone decided the best thing to do was to keep a lid on things. Who needs to know Hillary has pneumonia? Who needs to know when a major candidate for President disappears off the grid for nearly 2 hours? This reticence by Clinton and her staff only fuels the very speculation they are seeking to avoid. 

Who knows? Maybe there is something we don't know about either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump as it relates to their health. But sometimes you have to take things at face value because, when it comes to health and sickness, we've all been there. 

Thanks for dropping by. Another post tomorrow and I'll try to not make it about politics, OK?

Until then, remember to be good to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Out Of Office

OK, technically I am in the office. I working at my work-work computer which is within sight of my personal laptop wherein I compose this bl...