Thursday, July 11, 2013

How Do You Feel?

I like to think I am a reasonably intelligent person.

No, I'm no super genius by any stretch of the imagination. But I like to think I'm have some degree of intelligence that is a little better than the average. 

But there is one question that I have been flummoxed by almost my whole life.

"How do you feel?"

There's a sequence at the beginning of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home where Spock is re-training his brain after having his marbles roll around Dr. McCoy's head for nearly all of the previous movie.


He's on Vulcan and he's engaging an exercise of answering various questions being hurled at him at lightning speed from THREE different terminals. Mathematics, history, biology, astronomy, physics...Spock blazes through the questions with skill and ease.

Until he gets to the one question that stumps him.



How do you feel? Spock has NO idea how to answer that.

I'm with you on that, Spock.

How do I feel? How should I know? I've lived in only this brain and this body. I don't have a frame of reference by comparing living inside of a different brain, a different body. Maybe I'm doing great; maybe I'm in hell.

Is this dark pit in the heart of myself just life? Is everyone feeling this or is it just me? Can I escape it?

How do I feel?

It's an easy question, right? Well, it should be. But it isn't.

In the end of The Voyage Home, Spock tells Sarek to relay a message to his mother:

"Tell her...I feel fine."

How do I feel?

I really wish I knew.

__________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: It's a Beavis & Butthead Renaissance

  This image below has been making the rounds on social media following this past weekend's Saturday Night Live. It's Mikey Day and ...