Sunday, November 10, 2013

Yours Truly, The Published Humorist


Hi there! I am Dave-El and welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog with your recommended daily allowance of beta carotene.
 


Even though I should be satisfied that my blog is dominating the internet (and I should NOT be satisfied that my medication is apparently NOT curbing my delusional fantasies), I still have that good old fashion desire to see my work in print.


And this past Friday, I got to experience just that!


My local newspaper, the Greensboro News and Record, has a weekly feature called "The Joke's On You". An area cartoonist (and a very talented cartoonist at that) named Tim Rickard draws up a cartoon each Friday and leaves it to the readers to do the rest of the work for him by coming up with caption suggestions.  A week ago, I decided for the first time that I would take a shot at this.


This past Friday, I was greeted with this: 





That is so cool! I am now (officially!) a published humorist!*


*I want to say I am "an award-winning published humorist" but...yeah, I won the contest but I don't think I actually won any kind of an award. Other than, you know, the sheer joy of winning.


So this actually got printed in the paper! Really, I didn't think I would see my name in the paper except for an entry in the police blotter or the obituaries.**

**Technically, I guess I'll never see my name in the obituaries.

Actually the name David Long has appeared in the paper before but it wasn't me. (It's usually either quotes from the David Long who is the district attorney or letters from the old guy who really hates gay people.) But this time, that was MY name!


On the website, Tim posted a couple of other suggestions I sent in. 




In case you're interested, here is the list of the other suggested captions I came up with a week ago. 


“….and that was when my mother was used to make a Thanksgiving pie.”
 
“It’s hard to be taken seriously as a scary Jack O’Lantern when the my fiery inner glow comes from a Pumpkin Spice Yankee Candle.” 
 
“I feel like I’m going out of my gourd, Doc!”
 
“Doc, are you listening to me?” “Yes, I am. Please hold still. Let’s see, that’s 3 upside down triangles…”
 
Very little is known of  Sigmund Freud’s psychoanalysis of pumpkins. 
 
 
“Your dreams of having your seeds scooped out symbolizes your fears of sexual inadequacy.”
 
“Sometimes, I wish there was ‘Headless Horseman’ on a white horse riding to my rescue.”
 
“We must bolster your self-esteem. You must be a Pump-CAN, not a Pump-CAN’T.” 
 
“When I was kid, my dad called me ‘his little pumpkin’. Well, he called ALL of us that.”
 
“I feel like a nobody.” “I don’t understand.” “See, I have NO BODY.” “Nope, not getting it.”
 
“I feel…less than sincere.”
 
“So, how long have you had this delusion of being a Jack O’ Lantern?"
 
 
So thanks again to Tim Rickard and the other judges who made my day. 
 
__________________________________
 
 
By the way, check out Tim's daily comic strip, Brewster Rockit: Space Guy which can be found in various newspapers across the country as well as online right here!
 
 
Here's a sample:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Friday Video Link: A NewsRadio Security Briefing

Recently my Tik Tok feed has been sending me clips from the classic 1990's NBC sitcom NewsRadio. I don't know why. I mean, I really ...