Sunday, December 22, 2013

Dinner With Socrates

Hi there!


Dave-El here and welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You, the blog that knows what one hand clapping sounds like. Really, it's not that hard.


An hypothetical exercise we may be occasionally asked to engage in is this: If you had a chance to have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and what would you talk about?


Well, for this Sunday afternoon, I want to indulge in this exercise. I think I would want to have dinner with Socrates who is credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy, he is an enigmatic figure known chiefly through the accounts of later classical writers, especially the writings of his students Plato and Xenophon. Since so little is known about Socrates directly, only through the accounts of others, I imagine there would be quite a lot to talk about over dinner.

What would I say to Socrates? Hmm! I imagine it might go a little something like this...

_____________________________


"Hey, Socrates! Thanks for joining me for dinner tonight.  Did you have any problems finding the place?" 


"They have our table ready. I hope this is fine. Do you want to order drinks?"
 

"When it comes to salad dressing, I think vinaigrette would be healthier but damn I love bleu cheese."


"So, did you see that game last night? Man, that call on the 5 yard line with 10 seconds to go? Bogus!"


"The lamb chops look nice but I think I'll go with the brisket. What looks good to you, Socrates?"


"Boy, Socrates, this weather is something, huh? Too hot one day, too cold the next."


"Hard to say, Socrates, but that looks OK. A hint of pink but not rare."


"I think I'm quite full but these desserts look so good! You want to split one, Socrates?"


"That was DELISH! Hey, thanks for joining me for dinner, Socrates."
 
    _____________________________

And that would be my dinner with Socrates. Ah, what a wonderful opportunity to have dinner with one of the greatest thinkers in human history.

Awesome!


Hey, Socrates! Statue?



_____________________________

  • Tomorrow on the blog? I have no idea but I'm sure it will be stupid.
  • Tuesday will be my first ever Christmas Blog Post! Yay!
  • Wednesday and Thursday are special Doctor Who posts for the lead up to and the aftermath of Time of the Doctor, the farewell of Matt Smith!
  • On Friday, something different with Broken News! (Like maybe it will be actually be funny? Oh, ha, ha.)

Until then, be good to one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday TV Touchbase: Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV

Andrea and I finished up the documentary series Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV   .  The 5 episode series chronicles the lives of chi...