Thursday, September 17, 2015

Doctor Who Week: Whovians Assemble - Part Two

Greetings!  Welcome to I'm So Glad My Suffering Amuses You. I'm Dave-El and when I'm not writing this blog, I like to compose music about river otters. 

This is Doctor Who Week as we move towards Saturday, September 19th and the debut of Doctor Who Series 9. 

Tuesday night, the El Family took leave of our Fortress of Ineptitude to venture forth to a local cinema to see a special 3-D presentation of Dark Water and Death In Heaven, the 2 part season finale of Doctor Who Series 8. 

In yesterday's post, I reviewed how the 3-D movie experience affected my appreciation of these episodes. Today, I want to elaborate a bit more on the other features that were presented as well. 



After the episodes, we got to see the new prequel to Series 9, The Doctor's Meditation. This featurette was actually released on the internet a few days ago but I opted to forego watching it until I saw it in the theater. It's a clever piece centered around the activity named checked in the title. But no matter what face the Doctor is wearing, the concept of being still and quiet long enough to meditate is a bit of a foreign concept to our favorite space/time traveller. The Doctor has come to a medieval castle for his meditation and winds up spending his days leading the inhabitants of the castle on various construction projects. There's a lot of fun in this short but it does end on a ominous note, setting up challenges that lie ahead. 

After the short was an interview with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman conducted by Wil Wheaton. (Yes, THAT Wil Wheaton!) Wil is not what I would call a great interviewer but his presence here is affable enough, making the interview a pleasant experience for his guests and the audience. There's a nice balance of questions about the series gone by and the series to come. We learn about how Peter picked out the guitar we've seen the Doctor playing in the Series 9 trailers. Peter and Jenna couldn't say enough nice things about Maisie Williams and Jenna did say there was a story arc for her character, implying whoever Maisie's supposed to be, she may be present for more than just one story.  

Oh, and Jenna has a new hairstyle. It's cute! 

My biggest complaint about the interview was the use of clips from the episodes and the prequel we had just seen. I found it a tad irritating. All in all, though, it was a nice check in with Peter and Jenna who really do seem to work well together in these interviews. 

The theater was not packed but still, for a Tuesday night and a showing of something we had already seen, it was a fairly sizeable crowd. I dare say there were more people at our Doctor Who event than any of the other movies playing there. 

So the fires are stoked just a bit more as Doctor Who Series 9 inches ever closer.

The countdown continues...2 days to go.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Bidness: Out Of Office

OK, technically I am in the office. I working at my work-work computer which is within sight of my personal laptop wherein I compose this bl...